Chapter 4: Fired

[Eleanor]

I walked inside of the diner from the back door and changed into my work clothes which consisted of a flowy knee-length black skirt and a white button-up shirt. Because it was cold, we could wear something warm on top, so I put on Ethan's warm sweater before tying my apron around myself.

"Hello, Kyle, Jenny." I waved at my coworkers as I stepped into the kitchen.

I liked Kyle and Jenny. They are the only reason that working in the diner is tolerable. They were a young couple at the age of 26 who were high school sweethearts and had lived together after moving out of their parent's houses. Kyle was our chef and had amazing cooking skills and Jenny was a waitress like me. They were so in love and were supporting each other through thick and thin. I always wanted a love life like the one they had.

"Hello, sweetie." greeted Kyle as he ruffled my hair, earning a groan and a glare that only made him laugh.

"Afternoon, dear." said Jenny and pulled me into a hug. She pulled away quickly and frowned playfully. "Is that a men's cologne I smell on you, young lady?"

"Men's cologne?" asked Kyle and sniffed my sweater. He frowned too and glared at me. "Care to explain?"

"Wow, wow, guys." I chuckled. "This sweater is for my friend from school. My cardigan was ruined and he lend his sweater to me."

"Ah, what a gentleman." said Kyle mockingly. "Surly he had no intentions by lending his sweater to some lovely girl."

"Okay, we don't have time now." said Jenny and pointed an accusing finger at me. "but you will certainly explain everything to us later, young lady."

"Yeah." glared Kyle. "And if things are serious, I want to see this young man soon. I should approve him before you two date."

"We are not dating. He is only my friend." I said loudly as Jenny dragged me out of the kitchen.

"Everyone says this at the start, sweetie." sing sang Kyle making me frown.

Soon, customers flooded into the diner and the hard work started. The diner had quite a fame because of Kyle's cooking. I was wiping one of the booths in a corner when the bell on top of the door rang, indicating new customers. My eyes widened at hearing the familiar voices and my heart skipped a beat.

My head snapped up and I froze as I saw Chris, Chase, Hector, and Vincent, walking inside while laughing loudly. I gulped and ran behind the counter and clutched my heart. This was not good at all. The diner was on the other side of the town, far from school and they had never shown up here before in the past four months that I was working there. The diner was just too cheap for their pockets. I looked frantically around, searching for Jenny but she was nowhere to be seen.

"Eleanor!"

I jumped as I heard Mr. Cruise the owner of the diner. I whipped my head and saw him standing there, looking angry like always. No matter how hard I worked for him. He was always angry with me, saying I'm not doing my job good, and whining about my age. But Jenny always would remind me to ignore him and his comments, telling me that I'm doing great.

"What the hell are you doing?" he barked angrily. "I don't pay you to play hide and seek. Can't you see we have new customers? Go and get their orders."

"Can't Jenny do this?" I asked quietly. I just couldn't face the boys.

"Are you defying me, girl?" seethed Cruise. "Jenny is in the kitchen, helping Kyle. Now go and do as I say."

He said before he stomped away. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. "You can do this, Eleanor." I whispered. "They are just customers."

I grabbed my notepad and pen from the pocket of my apron and walked up to their table with shaky legs. Once there, I cleared my throat. They all fell silent and looked up at me as I tried not to squirm.