Chapter 15: Promises

[Chris]

Mrs. Pine gave us the promised tour and handed us our uniforms after we handed her our signed contracts. The uniforms were black slacks, a crisp white shirt, black bow tie and vest for men, and a knee-length flowy black skirt and white blouse for women. Men had to wear black shoes while women had to wear black flats.

Finally, Mrs. Pine left us in front of the women's locker rooms. I turned toward Eleanor. "You will be okay?" I asked a bit concerned as I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. I didn't want to leave her alone.

Eleanor chuckled sweetly at me. "I'm familiar with this stuff, Chris." she answered with a sweet smile. "What about you? Are you nervous?"

"huh," I scoffed. "Honey, my brother, and father own this whole building. Nothing will happen even if I break all of those fine chinas or spill drinks on fine ladies and gentlemen. I'm not nervous."

"You are right." she giggled and glanced at her old wristwatch. "I should get ready. It's almost five."

I stared into her eyes. They were soft, showing she was at ease. But I could see how exhausted she was from her eyes and the dark bags under her eyes. What could someone expect from a teenager who had worked nonstop for a long to fend for herself and her family?

Somehow it was so hard for me to see her like this. I wanted to see her carefree, eyes shining with happiness and free from any exhaustion. Surprisingly I was ready to do anything to see her as I wanted.

But of course, she wouldn't accept any help like the stubborn girl she was. Who was I to her?

"Chris?" she called concerned and waved her hand in front of my eyes, bringing me out of my thoughts. "Are you fine?"

"Yes." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "I will come at the end of your shift to pick you up."

"No you wouldn't." she gasped and took a step back. "Please don't embarrass me more. You have done so much for me. I don't want to be a burden."

"Will you stop saying this same reasoning every time I want to do something for you?" I whined. "For the last time, Eleanor. I want to. Get it through that thick skull of yours. You can't stop me."

"But it will be too late." she objected. "You need to rest and we have school tomorrow."

I rolled my eyes and instead of answering her, I snaked my arm around her waist and pulled her to my chest. She let out a gasp of surprise and put both of her delicate hands on my chest to keep some distance between us.

Her wide eyes become wider when she saw me leaning down. I knew she could have felt my heart that was beating ten times faster. I wanted badly to taste her lips, but I knew she was nowhere near ready. She didn't trust me fully. That much was evident from her frantic eyes.

The thought hurt my heart. She was so relaxed when Miller did the same. I couldn't help but be jealous of that idiot again. But I wouldn't back away. I pressed my lips to her forehead gently, savoring the fantastic calmness that surged through my veins.

The beast inside of me was finally at ease to be able to kiss the exact spot that Miller had kissed earlier. Her scent filled my nostrils and made me enthusiastic and calm at the same time. The feeling was overwhelming.

What was happening to me?

Her body was tensed at first but relaxed after a second and I was delighted to hear her sigh of relief. I slowly dragged my lips to the side of her face and hovered my mouth above her ear. "I will wait for you in the lobby at 11." I whispered in her ear, feeling her shiver in my arms.

I pulled away and walked down the corridor before she can protest or I can lose my last bit of control and do something that neither of us was ready for, or at least she was not ready for.
I sighed as I sat in my car.