Chapter 44

Chapter Forty Four 

Louis's P.O.V

Coughing dramatically, I pretended to hide my shock when I saw Hailey.

I reached out for my soda to drink the rest of it down. Thankful for the fact that I just stuffed popcorn in my mouth because it added to the effect. Niall hid his surprise too by knocking over said popcorn bowl, I grinned as he hastily tried to right it before they saw.

They did.

Liam shot me a panicked pleading and I shook my head quickly. 

I was fine, just shocked is all.

I didn't realise Kiara was bringing her. I thought I would only have to talk to one of them. I grimaced as Hailey walked towards us instantly reaching for Niall as her arms wrapped around him. I wanted to tell Zayn with my eyes that I couldn't do all this pretending but he was busy talking to Kiara near the door. 

"I got your text" Hailey started, as they finished their hug. I watched as Niall tried to act normal but his hand was clenching and unclenching. I noticed. "-I didn't think to reply, because I was going to surprise you anyway" She smiled happily and he nodded, agreeing.

She reached to hug Liam and they chatted for about three seconds until she saw me standing there with one hand gripping the empty soda can tightly.

I barely realised she hadn't said hello to me until she realised that she hadn't either. I wanted to wave or atleast hi five but she walked towards me with a hesitant smile and her arms out stretched, I glanced over her shoulder to see Niall begging me with his eyes for me to let her. I pressed my lips into a tight line as her brown hair was all that I could see with how tight she hugged me.

I grinned involuntarily as she let go.

"Coconut" I noted randomly, nodding towards her hair.

I knew she could feel the tension, and I appreciated the way she was trying to be cool about it. The thought itself had me wanting to do the same. She blushed at the fact that I noticed her choice in shampoo and I snickered, settling onto the couch again.

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

I dimly noticed when Zayn and Kiara settled down on my left, Niall and Hailey on my right and Liam right against me as I thought about what happened last night. After we had the group talk, I had gone to my room - this time, we didn't have to bunk together. I was grateful, but I didn't like having to lie in bed rethinking the whole conversation - wondering what I could've said instead of this or reacting another way when told something that I didn't like.

Harry apparently felt the same.

Maybe a hour or two later, he had snuck into my room. Muttering 'Lou' into the darkness as he felt his way towards my bed. I sat up, flicking on the lamp to stare at him tiredly while he sighed happily. 'Good, you're awake too' he mumbled. I didn't think it was a good thing but I shrugged anyway. I sat up and watched him thoughtfully as he joined me, making himself comfortable under my covers.

I frowned at the time, his words about me being... different... still seemed to be always in my mind so I shifted away from him. It wasn't odd for him to try and sleep beside me, all of us had done it before - but this time, it just didn't feel normal. He noticed and sighed, 'Boo, that talk we had - it didn't really save us did it?'. I remember feeling my mood flare, he treated this whole situation in such a silly way.

I didn't know which way I wanted it to be treated but it wasn't that.

'No Haz, it's nothing. I'm just tired, sorry' I had managed to say. He nodded understandingly and launched into a full on one sided conversation with me. I didn't mind, and I listened - nodding, mumbling, chuckling, sighing - at all the right moments. He told me about how he kept thinking he had something to make up for, which I shook my head to.

He told me he would always be in debt to being my slave, that I hesitated on before disagreeing with. Harry doesn't need to be a slave, he does everything so willingly anyway. 'Pancakes tomorrow?' I challenged, 'Anything for you' he replied teasingly.

He ended up keeping that promise.

He watched me carefully as he told me about his date with Hailey. I think he expected me to push him away, instead I had found myself leaning in closer - intrigued at the fact that we were back to being that type of friends and by that he was telling me the very way he'd do his perfect date.

He probably didn't remember, but he had told me. 

We fell asleep that way, I don't know when - but at some point we did and when I woke up... let's just say I backed up so quickly I fell off the bed. Cuddling with Hazza just wasn't the same anymore either, it was just weird. When I fell and hit bumfirst onto the carpet he awoke with a start. Meeting my eyes with a sleepy grin until he saw how uncomfortable I was.

That made this morning awkward.

Well, for me anyway.

I stood up quickly and backed away, rushing towards the bathroom. I hated that I wasn't trying to fix the friendship, but I couldn't be on that level anymore. To me - Harry, Liam, Niall and Zayn are all equals: I love them all just the same. If Harry can't accept that I don't know what to say or do to make a difference, I just don't.

My eyes shifted away from the telly as I refocused on Hailey and Niall. I was seriously rethinking everything I had thought about her, she was listening intently to something he was saying and he was absolutely beaming. I was wrong, I had let my jealously of losing my best friend cloud my judgement and I wouldn't be making that mistake again. I had no idea how long I had been out of it, but when my eyes made its way back to the TV I realised that someone had put a new movie on. 

So it must've been a while.

Someone knocked on the door and I ignored it, reaching over to get the popcorn which suddenly tasted old. I frowned down at it as I swallowed with difficulty, Niall threw the pillow he was holding at my head and I swore. He nodded towards the door and I ignored the signal for me to answer it - I looked to see whose side Zayn would take but him and Kiara were just about spooning. He had his arm wrapped around her shoulders and her head was resting on his chest.

I wanted to AWWW loudly right then and there but I held my tongue.

I spied hopefully to Liam but saw that he was suddenly asleep.

Strutting slowly towards the door I shot a backwards glance at Niall, who of course didn't see. His attention back on Hailey, I wondered if I had anything to worry about there - Niall seemed pretty determined with his whole 'I have a chance thing' I couldn't help but wonder if he really would. I smiled to myself as I pictured Hailey miraculously having another twin sister we didn't know about.

I doubted it.

I opened the door and instantly my smile slipped.

No way.

Liam's P.O.V

When someone knocked on the door, lets just say mild paranoia kicked in. I was well aware that Harry wouldn't knock to get into the apartment, but how about if he left his keys? I ignored the memory of him jiggling it in his hand this morning before he left.

Instinctively I shut my eyes.

I wasn't going to be the one to open the door if it was Harry. This wasn't my doing, I hadn't known that Hailey was going to come here - nevertheless Kiara. It was Zayns, and Nialls, and even though Harry may not believe it - but Louis' also.

I heard Louis grumble, and weight beside me lift as he left to open the door. I peeped my eyes open, closing them shut just as quickly as he turned around to glare at Niall. He didn't notice me. 

I heard a quiet laugh beside me and saw that both Kiara and Zayn were watching me with amusement in their eyes. I lifted my finger to my lips and Kiara nodded, giggling - Zayn smiled down cutely at her and if possible, his arm tucked even tighter around her.

The sight made me miss Danielle.

But I had no time for that, because the voice answering Louis' awkward hello at the door was definitely not Harry. I saw three things simultaneously from where I sat. One, Louis looked mortified. Two, Hailey was wide eyed staring between the guest to her bestfriend - and Three, Zayn still hadn't any idea.

"I just need to see for myself" she persisted, her tone demanding.

I tried to see if Zayn could be seen from her view, since they were quite slouched on the sofa. Apparently not because Louis' shrugged at her, and from what I could see was probably telling her he wasn't here.

Perrie had none of it.

"I know he's here Lou, and why would you lie to me?"

Instantly, Louis' eyes dropped to the ground guiltily.

"I thought we were friends? Just because he broke up with me you don't know me anymore? Is that it? You know, I haven't even told Eleanor yet - what do you think she'd say if I told her I asked you to help me and you closed the door in my face?"

Of course, that was all it took for him. I don't blame him, if she had said the same to me would've also done the same. He stepped back and opened the door wider, beckoning her with a sigh to come in. Trying to shoot an apologetic glance to Zayn who was no longer snuggled but attempting to hide his confusion as he untangled from Kiara.

My soft side twisted as I saw Perrie's face fall at the sight infront of her.

"You lied to me" she murmured, now ignoring Louis who was still standing there - to be honest she didn't acknowledge any of us. Her eyes solely fixed on her ex boyfriend as he stood up quickly and walked over to her.

"I never lied to you" Zayn whispered, trying to keep his tone calm.

I felt sad having to see this, and I smiled sympathetically at Kiara who was looking like she just got slapped in the face. I dragged my gaze back at Perrie to see her shaking her head, her eyes welling up with tears.

"You did, you lied to me. You said you weren't cheating on me. You said there wasn't any other girl!" 

At this point I stood up, trying to get everyone else to do the same. "We'll give you two a moment" I spoke, as I tried to get Niall's attention - he was transfixed, eyes locked on Perrie.

"No" Zayn mumbled, "-we'll leave... I never cheated on you Perrie, I wouldn't do that to you"

Perrie blanched, we were all well aware of what happened with her and Hailey's brother. She shook her head again, gesturing weakly to Kiara. Zayn just sighed, walking over to the first bedroom door and mumbling for her to join him.

After a minutes hesitation she did.
And for a moment, we realised the walls were thin.

I blinked at their hushed voices and Louis chuckled, trying to cover up their conversation with a wave of his hand and an exaggerated level of excitement in his tone.

"Well. That was awkward, who's up for some tea?"

Perrie's P.O.V

I didn't even wait for the door to shut.

"It's barely been two days. You've clearly moved on, and you're going to stand there and tell me you didn't cheat on me? You don't just get feelings overnight Zayn, you just don't" 

I stood there, trying to look strong but feeling the tears flow down my face. Even my voice betrayed me, cracking at the last second. Zayn sighed, "Don't you?"

I ignored his double meaning, and he continued. "...I don't wan't to fight"

I hastily wiped my cheeks, "Then let's not, just explain to me. Why? How?"

He sat down gingerly on the bed, and slowly met my eyes. "Believe me Perrie, I never wanted to hurt you. You were the best thing that had ever happened to me, a part of me believes that you always will be. But, it wasn't right anymore - and you know that. He may have been what made this whole  thing official, but it was always there...this feeling knowing that something just went wrong along the way, you must've felt it too?"

I bit my bottom lip to stop it from trembling and shook my head.

"What went wrong then? I don't want to lose you Zayn, please don't leave me behind" I felt fresh tears streak down my cheeks and my legs grow weak so I joined him on the bed, leaving as much space between us as I could.

I loved him, but he was right.

"I don't know... everything and nothing... we're too good for eachother" he chuckled, and shifted - reaching over to wipe my tears with his hand. His thumb caressed my cheek and I shut my eyes, trying to remember this feeling. "I love you too much to lose you aswell, but I am going to ask Kiara out one day..." I grimaced. "...maybe even tonight, or tomorrow. But know that you will always mean so much to me. I don't know how to explain what we were... just kids in love?" 

He trailed off like I was just meant to know what he meant. 

"We weren't always kids" I reasoned, smiling slightly as I sniffled.

He grinned, "I know, but like a kid - I was childish. It was wrong of me to walk out and just leave you there confused and alone, and i'm sorry. But now, we have bigger chances at something extraordinary. If you do one day decide to give Tate a chance, or any other guy for that matter - I hope he treats you like the brilliant princess you are, beautiful. You deserve to be happy"

His hand left my face and he leaned forward and delicately kissed my forehead. "You deserve the world" he whispered, I bit my lip again.

I was a rollercoaster of emotions.

"You like her?" I murmured, suddenly feeling silly. 

Zayn resumed his position across me, and nodded slowly. He seemed wary and I sighed sadly, I had abused my knowledge of what Tate had told me and used it to fuel the anger I had felt in me all day. The thought itself had me feeling like a complete fool.

"You deserve to be happy too baba" I smiled, and I knew that he knew that I meant it. I stood up slowly, wiping any traces of left over tears away. "Does that mean we're okay?"

"No..." Zayn stood up and pulled me into his arms. That singular word felt like a kick to the stomach, and it took everything in me not to breakdown. That was until he spoke again, "-but we're going to  be"

I smiled. He reminded me of just why I fell in love with him in the first place. He was just perfect. I didn't feel any hate for Kiara, a little bit of envy - but no hate. I had my chance, and I suppose the saying 'Everyone deserves a second chance' wasn't applicable in my case. I sighed softly as he let me go, and shook my head.

"I'm going to miss you baba" 

He smiled, "Leaving me so soon?"

I nodded, "I have somewhere to be"

His eyes sparked with curiosity, but he simply nodded.

I felt as if the world had been lifted off my shoulders.

A sudden clarity.

God, my life was just poetry in motion.

Kiara's P.O.V

I harshly chewed on my bottom lip.

"Don't worry, i'm sure they'll be done soon" Hailey spoke quickly, her eyes darting down to her now empty cup of tea to Louis who just shrugged, mumbling something about peasants.

I ignored him, both of them. Choosing to focus instead of anything else, Niall was smiling at me - his blue eyes looking like they knew the secrets to world peace. He nodded subtly, as if he just knew everything was going to be okay - I returned his smile. 

Then just like that, the door which had been shut for nearly twenty minutes opened, and Perrie walked out - her left hand rubbing her eyes so we couldn't see her face. Zayn followed close behind and shut the door behind him.

Perrie maybe then realised there were other people in the apartment because she paused, turning around and directly locking eyes with me. "I'm sorry" was all she said before she spun on her feet and walked out the door, Louis jumped up and followed her.

"What are you doing mate?" Zayn questioned, as he tried to pry the door open with difficultly in his haste to leave. Louis shook his head quickly, "I need tell her something...apologize" Then the door flew open and he was gone.

Hailey and I met gazes at Louis' actions, and both smiled.

"Kiara?" Zayn wavered, smiling cautiously at me.

I stood up and walked towards him, pausing about a foot away to stare at him curiously. "Yes?" I whispered, looking into his eyes and trying to hide my smile.

For some reason I believed Niall, everything was going to be okay.

"I like you" he whispered, extending his hands out in a hug.

My lips betrayed me, feeling a smile break across my face as my heart raced.

"I like you too" I murmured, just as his arms wrapped around me.

After he let go and decidedly chose to lead me back to the sofa so I could lean against Hailey and he against me, Liam stood up and pulled out his phone.

"Now what are you doing?" Zayn questioned, eyebrows raised.

Niall chuckled, mumbling something about calling Mrs. Payne.

Liam's eyes narrowed, "Calling Danielle, you two gave me feels"

I grinned and he huffed.

I didn't have to ask which two he meant.

I just knew.

Harry's P.O.V

I felt my pockets as I walked into the apartment building.

I sighed to myself, I left my keys at Ed's.

It's a wonder I manage to keep myself together. I grinned, thinking about my day as I walked quickly towards the elevator. I hadn't had to wear my beanie until I left his so it was already itching to be taken off, I frowned as someone who looked eerily like Perrie rushed past me.

I shook my head, how odd.

Then, a streak of stripes and red blew past. I rolled my eyes as I realised it was Perrie, I was momentarily confused to why Louis would be the one chasing her down to the lobby but I didn't do anything. I just watched as he managed to catch her and say something to her, she looked like she was about to burst into tears at whatever he was saying - I stood frozen as she wrapped her arms around him and nearly squeezed the life out of him.

I smiled, watching my bestfriend in awe.

This morning was as awkward as it was for me and for him, but for different reasons. I was weirded out because he was, it was like an infectious song - it hit him then it just as strongly hit me. I talked to Ed about it and he talked me out of replaying said hypothetical song in my head, he was right. I shook my head slightly, trying to rid the thought just as Louis turned around and made his way back in my direction.

"Hazza?" he said, surprised as he came closer.

I nodded, joining him as we walked towards the elevator.

"Hey Boo" I returned, playfully nudging his shoulder as the doors opened and we thankfully walked into it alone. He returned the nudge, grinning widely.

"Elevator" he murmured, slapping his forehead. I rolled my eyes, possibly figuring out that he raced down the four flights of stairs to catch up with her.

I didn't tease, instead wondering aloud.

"So what happened with Perrie?" I questioned curiously, clicking the fourth floor button before returning my gaze to him. He shrugged, "Not much, just wanted to apologize for something"

I nodded, "Good, I take she forgave you?" 

He nodded, his smile growing wider. 

"So why was she here?"

His smile faded just as it came, and he tried to cover it up but I noticed. 

"I'm hungry, want to get linner?"

I narrowed my eyes, "Linner?"

"Lunch/Dinner? Linner? C'mon Haz keep up"

I shook my head just as the doors opened again, "You're insane"

He pouted, "I take that as a no?"

I scanned his body, ignoring his question. Let's just say curiosity had taken the best of me, seeing that he definitely didn't have the room key on him I knocked three times on the door. Stepping back to shake my head at Louis, "A big no-no Boobear"

He frowned, whether at the rejection or the nickname I have no idea.

I grinned, playfully ruffling hair and he snorted, rather rudely.

"Lou, you took forever what did you do get los-" Liam's eyes widened as he caught sight of me and instantly I knew something was up. I pushed him aside and entered, my eyes taking in everything. Louis fell in step beside me and whispered so quietly I almost didn't hear, "Busted"

Zayn and Kiara were watching the telly, not aware of me. I smiled at the sight of them, then of couse - where Kiara was Hailey was so I knew instinctively that what I would see next was inevitable. Hailey and Niall were sitting on the sofa aswell, where they had been deep in conversation only a moment ago, were now staring at me.

"Harry!" Hailey stands up and walks over and pauses, unsure of what to do next. Smile still on my face I shrug to dismiss the awkwardness and hug her. 

My eyes lock on Niall to see him having a silent conversation with Liam, who nodding his head in my direction mouthing something while Niall just shrugged. Hailey let go and I grinned, "Hey you"

"Hey you" she mumbled, smiling widely.

At that moment I should've felt hurt that I had been left out of this days events, or atleast mad that Niall had got to spent the day with her - but I wasn't. This moment was alright for me, just this. I wouldn't lie, maybe the day spent having Ed teach me the philosophy of life through his role of Dr Phil helped.

"Heard you were with Ginger Jesus today?" she continued.

I nodded, "He says hello"

Her lips pulled at the corner, "So you were talking about me?"

Again, at my side Louis snickered. "Busted"

I scoffed, "Course not"

She rolled her eyes at Louis and returned to the sofa. I said hello to Kiara and Zayn, shooting a playful hurt glare to Liam to which he responded to by hanging his head in shame. I almost laughed, he reminded me so much of a puppy sometimes it was unreal.

A shrill tone filled the room and Louis jumped up, swearing.

"Damn it" he muttered, racing over to the kitchen.

I watched him in wonder as his all-too-casual voice echoed through.

"Oh hey babe" 

I raised my eyebrows and Liam met my eyes, "Skype" he mouthed.

I ahhed in response, chuckling. Niall caught my eye and he smiled.

I nodded in return, settling onto the sofa.

So what if Niall spent the day with her, he didn't get a date. I felt the Zen I had built up during the day ebb away as jealously kicked in, who cares if Niall's talking to her right now.

'Let the games begin'

The words filtered through my memory and I cringed, I still don't know exactly what came over me that made me say those words to him so long ago. This wasn't a game anymore. I watched them talk and as if Niall knew what I was thinking, he suddenly met my eyes and winked.

He winked.

That cheeky Irish bastard.

____

k i know that wouldnt be how he'd wink at haz, but come on.

just wow niall, wow.

DAN YOU SEXYBEASTOK.