5 Kakashi

(art from @karhenchahelata on Twitter)

"You'll answer my questions now," I warned her, holding her with the same strength I held my frown. But she didn't flinch "Why did you help me?"

"I'm not helping you, I'm helping myself,"  she finally answered, even though it didn't really answer any of my questions nor dispelled my doubts. 

"How?" I asked "And why shouldn't I kill you right now?" I asked what had been on my mind since she had freed me of my chains. I pressed my tanto harder against her skin, making a thin cut on her still bruised throat. 

"You could say you're my in-case-everything-goes-wrong plan. You can kill me, but you won't make it back to Konoha. You still don't know where we are, and you're a long way back from home. You don't know how to make it through these forests, let alone the cities and villages"

I inspected her eyes further, wishing she would say something more convincing, but in the end, I retreated my blade. And suddenly, a lot of bells and gongs started sounding from inside the city behind us.

"Shit," she mumbled, her expression changing completely. Her eyes left me and instead moved behind me, to where the sounds were coming from "They already realized. We need to move, fast" she warned me, and I finally let her go.

I followed her while we ran in the opposite direction, and hadn't I had a Sharingan I would have probably lost (Y/n) in the darkness and thickness of the forest. It actually amazed and surprised me equally how she was able to dodge all the weeds, bushes, and protruding roots in such darkness. Although I guess, that if I didn't continue to be wounded, and unused to stand (let alone run), I might have found it easier. 

We ran for so long, that I was starting to feel my legs ache like they hadn't since I was a genin; and we had been running for so long, that the bells and city alarms had been long lost into the distance. But I stopped in my tracks when I suddenly stepped into water that soaked my feet up until almost my knees. I looked to my side, to where (Y/n) was, and watched her walk calmly deeper into the stream. But suddenly, she disappeared into thin air. 

My eyes widened and my brows arched as I looked around me and into the blackness, trying to spot her or sense her smell, chakra, anything... 'Did she ditch me?' I thought, a little scared as even despite using my Sharingan I still wasn't able to see her. But then, I heard a low giggle, and suddenly, a hand appeared out of nowhere: her smaller and frail hand that grabbed me by my shirt and pulled me towards her, towards... nowhere. 

And I finally saw her. But I could have sworn she wasn't there before...

"What was that?" I asked, but she turned around and continued to lead the way, this time calmly walking instead of running. I quickly caught up to her side

"I left a few seals nearby. We'll be safe here," she answered, approaching the slope of the cliff right by the stream's side "Unless they're brought in from inside, no one can't trespass the genjutsu. The only way is if they peeled the seals off their places but... the genjutsu also hides them, so if that happens... Well, we'd probably be the people with the worst luck in the world," she added while she walked into a cave after having lit up a small torch she took out of her backpack. It took me a moment to follow her as all I was able to do for a long moment was observe her figure in front of me with slight awe.

"How long have you been planning for this?" I asked what had been on my mind. 

This, the hole in the wall behind the grave, the sounds from the thrash that covered the movement of the rock, even the routes and timetables of the guards... it all looked meticulously planned.