Blue

My poor baby

My poor baby.

Forest and I walk into her room. She's hooked up to so many damn machines. The IV is in the corner beeping quietly. She has a long stitched up cut on her forearm. She's bruised up. Her hairs a mess. Lying under a sheet in her ugly blue hospital gown. She's so damn pale.

Forest goes to her right side and I stay on the left. Just looking down at her. I rub the back of her hand. I need to touch her. To acknowledge that's she's still here.

Forest moved her hair out of her face and bends to kiss her forehead. She doesn't move. Her breathing is slow and even. I can't take my eyes off of her. My pippy is so broken. It rips into our very souls.

Forest takes a set beside her bed. Pulling his chair closer and grabbing her hand. Rubbing his thumb back and forth, on the top of her hand. He puts his head on her bed. Still holding her hand. His body starts shaking. He's crying, I don't know if it's from relief that she's still alive and with us or the heartbreak of what she's been through.

"I know Forest. I feel the same way." He looks at me with tears in his eyes not yet falling down his cheeks.

"I know you love her, like I do, when we bring her home and she's better. I'm going to marry her. Regardless of what Denny thinks or does." His facial features allow for no argument.

"I do love her Forest, I'd die for her! I've always loved her. I want her to carry our last name. I want her to be with us forever. No matter which of us that does marry her." He nods his head.

We settle into quietness. The sound of machinery and beeping is all that's heard. A cast of light is brought into the room from the door. We both turn to see who is there.

"I'm sorry. I really am. But she can only have one visitor at a time." The nurse looks at us apologetically.

I get up to leave. "Is there anything you might need; before I go?" I ask Forest. He shakes his head. "Just for her to wake up and be ok." I get it. It's the same way I feel.

"Ok I'm headed home. I'll be back around three or so, is that ok?" He just nods. Lays his head back down on the bed.

I leave the hospital headed for home. I had to call a cab, our truck was driven to the firehouse by one of the firemen.

I pay the driver and go inside.

I stop in my tracks.

The house is destroyed. Things are tossed around and everything is knocked over. It looks like someone broke in. I rush through the house looking for Denny.

"Denny! Denny!" I scream. No answer. I go to search the rooms. I find him Lannies room on the bed. He's sitting on the edge with his head on his chest. Breathing rapidly. I walk to him and sit beside him on the bed. I don't say a word. What can I say? We just sit there. After a few minutes he sighs and looks at me. He's broken. He's not crying. But sadness is written all over his face.