Chapter 21: Mythra

Artist is yazwo (pixiv.net)

------

"My lady, the squad has been dispatched" Xer told me as he approached me.

"Great news. Seems everything is going well." I said as I took a sip from my coffee.

I yawned a little as I kept staring at the horizon. The only thing I could see was the deep blue sea from this height.

"Also... The other piece is in Tantal. The bait was a marvelous plan, my Lady." Xer added. He leaned his back on the wall next to the entrance.

I remained silent, contemplating the nice view I had in front of me.

We had been inactive for a while, but in reality, we had been working on plans to pin point the remaining two core crystal pieces to revive Malos. We had recovered the other four and things were looking pretty nice.

"I'm surprised you are up this early." I told him, trying to change the topic for a moment.

"Let's talk about business later... Come and join me for a moment." I offered him.

"Uh... Sure..." Xer said hesitantly. I noticed he didn't expect such words from me.

He started walking towards me and stood next to me. We remained silent.

We were watching the horizon from the high heights of the World Tree. We could see the tree was fairly active because of the holograms and light projections that revolved around the branches.

I saw the water swaying with the morning breeze. It also reflected the incoming daylight to my eyes, signaling it was the moment to say goodbye to the starry night.

"Thank you, Xer." I told him with sincere words.

"Oh?" Xer said in confusion. He looked at me but I kept gazing at the horizon.

"Thank you for staying by my side this whole time." I told him.

Truth was, I was very grateful. I couldn't see myself living alone in this massive place. It would feel lonely but thanks to Xer, I never experienced such emotions.

Also... He made my goal easier. With his kind support and loyalty, he made this way easier. I could share my struggles and I felt I had a shoulder I could rely on; a heartwarming and soothing sensation.
He was a great partner, someone I truly appreciated.

"My lady..." He said back. I knew he didn't know what to say; he was a man of few words when getting complimented or when he felt flustered.

I simply smiled and cherished the new memory I just created with him.

"I'll remember you... For the rest of my life." I told him as I sipped my coffee.

Xer didn't answer at all.

I put the cup down and then started stretching.

"We are one day closer to achieving our goal... And truth is... I'm very grateful that I met you, Xer.

You have been my only company and the pair of hands I know I can rely in case I need something.

I'm truly grateful for your selfless support. You have been a great partner and such memories will always be in my heart." I told him with my face a little red.

I looked at his eyes and Xer was also red too. He had his mouth slightly opened in awe after hearing such words from me.

I began chuckling little after noticing he just wasn't capable of saying anything back.

"W-w... What?" He asked worried and embarrassed.

"This is the part where you say 'Thank you'" I said and continued laughing.