Parties Suck

Y/N POV

I've always hated my birthday. They were never the same after my dad died, and while I am thankful that I'm doing quite well with my music career, money has always been something we didn't have a lot of. So I usually try to skirt around the subject and tell people that I don't want anyone to make a big deal out of it. I'd much rather just sit at home, watch my favorite movies and eat a pizza than have to sit through a whole party where I awkwardly pretend that I don't mind people spending money on me. This year, though, it looks like I'm not going to be able to get away with that. Because Lizzie is insisting on celebrating it, and let's be real- I'm not about to say no to her. It's almost physically impossible to, and it didn't help when she pulled out the pout and I caved pretty quickly.

So, for Lizzie's sake, I'm trying to make the most out of it. She did meet me half-way, at least. We're just having a little get-together with the band and their respective significant others, Scarlett and Collin, and my mother. I also extended the invitation to the twins, but they were already back in New York. It's supposed to be nothing huge, but Lizzie and Scarlett are currently in party-planning mode and I'm genuinely afraid of what tonight will consist of.

Deciding that I'm not going to be in the way, because the last thing I want to do is be banned from my own kitchen, I find myself lounging on my couch and watching The Office reruns with Collin as I wait for my mother and the others to get here.

As if on cue, there's a knock on my front door and my lovely mother is there waiting on the other side. She instantly pulls me into a hug as soon as the door opens, almost squeezing the air out of my lungs. "Happy birthday, my sweet girl."

I try to return the hug as best as I can, but my arms are trapped by my sides in my mother's vice grip, so I settle on just leaning into it as I smile. "Thank you, Mom. How was your flight?"

"It was good! I met this charming young man who's going to UCLA to be a doctor, and it turns out that he only lives a few towns over from home. I thought that was so neat."

I let out a light laugh as my mother pulled away. It wasn't surprising that she'd managed to make a friend on the flight here. She could make friends with a brick wall, if it was alive. I've always chalked it up to that small-town charm that she's always had. After all that's how it goes back home. Everyone knows everyone, and even if you don't know them, you're not strangers for very long. I always hated it, never being able to go anywhere without being recognized by someone. It's why I loved living here in LA, there were so many people and I was left relatively alone unless I was recognized by a fan. "I'm glad you made a friend, Mom."

"Where are the others?"

I bent down to pick up my mother's bag, gesturing in the direction of the kitchen. "Lizzie and Scarlett have taken over the kitchen, Collin's in the living room and the others aren't supposed to be here until later."

"I'm honestly surprised you agreed to a party in the first place."

I snorted, walking behind my mother as we ventured further into the apartment. "It's not a party. It's a small get-together. And it's apparently impossible for me to say no to Lizzie."

My mother chuckled. "She reminds me a little of your father. He used to love to throw you birthday parties."

I couldn't help but smile, remembering all the bases my father used to pull off, the memories forever tainted by sadness. Before I could respond, Lizzie appeared out of the kitchen, her usual dazzling smile in place as she greeted my mother. I felt my smile widen as I watched my mother wrap my girlfriend up in her arms, opting to use the momentary distraction to put my mother's bag in the spare room.

When I returned my mother and girlfriend were nowhere in sight. Confused, I looked over at Collin, who simply smiled and pointed in the direction of the kitchen before he excused himself to go fetch whatever Scarlett asked him to. I let out a sigh, I returned to my seat as I realized my mother had been swept up into the party preparations and I was on my own again. I wasn't going to complain, though, because I could occasionally hear the laughter of all three women drift into the living room and I'd be lying if I said my heart wasn't a little fuller knowing that the people I cared about most were enjoying themselves. If that meant suffering through this party, then that's what I would do.