Meeting the Mother

"Wait, what the hell does this say?"

Rolling my eyes, I kept the phone balanced between my ear and shoulder as I attempted to keep my sauce from sticking to the pan. "Scar, I can't see what you're talking about. You're gonna have to give me a little more details."

"This line, from the song Bullet. It's like right after the bridge. I can't read my own handwriting."

Chuckling, I pushed the saucepan off to an unused burner before pulling across the marble countertop towards me. Thank god I'd been smart enough to realize that something like this would possibly happen: Scarlett getting into a song at some random, inconvenient time. And instead of trying to get the older woman to solidify her thoughts over the phone, I'd make sure to keep a copy of the lyrics myself.

After flipping to the song in question, I glanced over it before spouting off some of the words we'd come up with. "Uh? You said the first line? The one that says like a bullet that I couldn't dodge, up in that snow-covered lodge on Christmas Eve, when I looked into your eyes and saw everything?"

"Yes! Thank you! What was I doing when we were writing this to make my handwriting so ineligible?"

"I think we wrote Bullet that morning Rose was with us. I have little scribbles in blue crayon on my page. Oh and a bunny that's eating...what I think is supposed to be a carrot?"

Scarlett's laugh drifted to me through the other end of the phone, a small smile on my face as I glanced over the drawings the five-year-old had left me with. "Well that makes sense."

A knock on my door pulled my attention away from the drawings, my eyebrows pulling together at the sound in confusion. It was only a little past seven-thirty, and Lizzie wasn't supposed to be here until eight. And even if it was her, why wasn't she using her key? I'd given it to her last week after having to wake up several times in the middle of the night to let her in. She's been crashing here more often now that they're cramming to get everything done before she leaves for Atlanta in a few weeks, which means more late nights. And I'd much rather have her here than attempting to drive home, since it's closer to set.

"Hold on, Scar. Someone's here."

"I thought you said Liz wasn't coming over until eight?"

"It's not her, I think. She has a key."

"She has a key?! Since when and why did you not tell me about this interesting development in your relationship?!"

Rolling my eyes, again, I started for the door. "She's been staying here since they've had her staying so late to film. My apartment is closer than her place and I got tired of letting her in at two in the morning."

"You know they told me lesbians move fast, but I didn't think it was a real thing."

Opening my door, I felt my eyes widen slightly. "Mom?"

My mother reached forward, pinching my cheeks between her thumbs and forefingers. "Surprise!"

Still feeling slightly shocked, I moved out of the way so my mother could enter the apartment, taking her bag from her as she passed. "Uh? What are you doing here?"

"Is that Mama Y/L/N?"

Ignoring Scarlett's question, I followed my mother into the living room, gently placing her bag on one of the couches, watching as the woman glanced around the room, her hands on her hips. "I know you all are getting ready to start recording the new album and I wanted to come spend the weekend with you before you got too busy to talk to me."

"Oooh, you haven't told her about Lizzie yet, have you?"

Narrowing my eyes, I turned slightly to harshly whisper into the phone, fully aware that my mother was going to hear me. Mothers had that weird heightened sense, they could hear everything. "I'm going to hang up on you."