Deserving

(AN: TRIGGER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!! THIS CHAPTER TALKS ABOUT EMOTIONAL AND VERBAL ABUSE. PLEASE CONTINUE WITH CAUTION!!!!)

YN POV

Our park outing was a resounding success according to both the band's and Lizzie's PR team. They'd sent us over several articles this morning, all having said some pretty positive things about us both and seemingly wishing us luck with the new relationship. Whether or not they were leaving out the bad ones, I didn't know. And I wasn't going to ask. Lizzie didn't need to know about those, if they were out there, and I didn't want to know about them either. I'd spent far too long reading over speculative tabloids for the past eight months.

My mother, ecstatic about the good news and to celebrate the band's nomination at the awards show this coming weekend (I may have accidentally not told her, either... oops), made us her infamous pancakes before we eventually had to say goodbye to catch her flight back home.

"You call me more. I don't hear from you as often as I would like to."

Squeezing my mother's smaller frame, I nodded, leaning into her embrace. I wasn't afraid to admit that I still loved my mother's hugs, even at twenty-three. "Yes, ma'am."

"And make sure you take care of that girl of yours. I like her."

Smiling, I pulled away with a nod, grabbing her bag to put in the car as her and Lizzie said goodbye. The two whispered something to each other as they hugged it out, but I couldn't catch what was said, instead choosing to feel completely ecstatic that their meeting had gone off without a hitch.

As the two pulled away, I let my mother pull me into one last quick hug before joining Lizzie's side, wrapping an arm around her waist. We stood just outside the building's front door, watching as my mother's Uber drove off, my mother waving through the rear windshield until her car eventually turned around the corner.

I let out a sigh, feeling the usual sadness that always came with saying goodbye to my mother whenever she visited, although this time it wasn't as suffocating as I was used to. Because this time I wasn't alone.

"You okay?"

Nodding, I smiled down at my girlfriend, who had moved to wrap herself around me. "I'm okay. I'm glad you two got to meet."

Lizzie's own smile widened slightly, her nose scrunching up slightly. "I'm glad we did, too. I like your mother."

Chuckling, I gently pulled the blonde back towards the building, placing a kiss to the top of her head. "She likes you, too. Which you should consider a high honor. She's never liked any of my other girlfriends before."

"None of them?"

I shrugged, letting her cuddle up to me for the short elevator ride, resting my chin on the top of her head. "Not really. I guess she tolerated my ex, but I always got the feeling that she didn't like her."

When I received a simple hum, I glanced down at the blonde in my arms who seemed to be a thousand miles away somewhere. Rather than saying anything to disrupt her, I simply stayed quiet, content to just enjoy having her this close for the rest of the day. I wouldn't be getting to see her much this week, considering she'd managed to take off Sunday for the awards ceremony in exchange for working a little longer every day this week.

"Y/N? Can I ask you something?"

I pulled away as the elevator doors dinged open so I could look down at her, taking note of the serious tone she was using as we started down the hallway towards my apartment. "Always."

The blonde stayed silent as I unlocked my door and we entered my apartment, her silence putting me on edge slightly. Whatever it was, she'd obviously waited until after my mother had left and we'd gotten back here to ask me. A thousand things were whirling through my head, but I attempted not to let my panic show as I followed her into the living room and sat next to her on one of the couches.