District 10

A girl flipped clean over me while throwing knives at targets.

I watch as she lands and flashes me a grin.

I nod and walk away.

Watching how everyone else fights is strange. No one fights like I do. There's not a mission behind their eyes, just dishonesty and intent to kill. I watched the top ranked people fight for a while and it seems less and less likely I would end up making a partner out of any of them.

I was running out of options so fast that I even watched Katniss train for a moment just to get my hopes up.

I don't even know what Peeta is doing. He's been working out and that's about it.

I walk to the punching bags so I can release some of this frustration in myself.

"Watch out!" A boy's voice yelled.

I turn and just barely have enough time to duck.

Six throwing stars fly over my head and land in the fighting mannequin' s head and throat.

"Are you okay?!" The boys voice asks as he runs over quickly. The sincerely in his voice made me turn in surprise.

I see a boy no older than thirteen. He had untamed rusty red hair that looked like someone attempted to fix it but gave up trying. He also had a black eye that looked bloody where the white should have been. He also had a white big bandaid over his cheek where a nasty looking cut was poking out. Another bandaid was over his chin and nose that looked like it was trying desperately to heal. His fingers were all wrapped and it traveled up his entire left arm, I guessed it went all the way to his chest. What happened to this kid?

"Are you okay?" He asked, worry in his eyes.

He smelled like wholesome honesty.

"You care?" I ask, reaching over and pulling the throwing star out of the mannequin's eye.

The boy seemed to realize who I was and gasp then straightened.

"Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't know you were-um" He looked around nervously for help but everyone was turned away, most likely waiting for me to do something to the kid.

I almost wanted to smile at the boy. He reminded me of something from my District, but he seemed too moral to be from my district.

"What is your name?" I asked, handing him his throwing star.

The boy hesitated before taking it.

I let go and put my hands in my pockets, waiting patiently for him to respond.

"Patrick, sir."

"I'm Cedric" I say, inhaling to continue my sentence but before I can say anything he says

"Nice to meet you" He says meekly.

I close my mouth and look at him.

His eyes widened "I'm sorry! I didn't mens to interrupt you!"

Very apologetic isn't he?

I raise an eyebrow at him "What's your district?"

"Ten, sir" He responded.

I was slightly confused. "Awfully young for having already won a game right?"

Patrick swallowed and shook his head "I-I haven't." He said quietly. "My older brother was the victor but he doesn't have a leg from the first time he won."

"You volunteered?" I ask, slightly surprised.

"No one else was going to" He said while inhaling and raising his chin slightly.

Why haven't the cameras been all over this kid?

"Why haven't you been training here?" I ask, completely baffled at his actions.

Patrick looked over at a group of the best fighters here and looked away again, shrugging.

My eyes traveled over to the group who were all talking to each other before shooting glances at Patrick like he was meat.

I narrowed my eyes at them before softening my features to look at Patrick again.

"They beat you up?" I asked plainly.

His eyes widened and he stared at me in horror begore he fixed his face.

"They were trying to teach me how to fight like them." He said. "I'm not really-" He stopped like he realized saying his weaknesses was a bad idea. He straightened again "I can attack from afar very well."

"Hmm" I grunt before tilting my head to survey him. "Word of advice, don't fight like them. They do it wrong."

"They do?" He asked, amazed I would even say such a thing.

I nod and think. "You look honest and fast, quiet and smart, even though you may make niave choices."

I inhale and look around, thinking.

"I'm probably not gonna last long." He said under his breath and if it were not for my alterations I wouldn't have been able to hear him.

"Nonsense." I scoff before turning to look at the mannequin that could have been me if he didn't tell me to move.

"You have skills and if trained you'd be very good." I say. I look back at him "Got an ally?" I ask.

"I haven't had time" He said "I've been out for a while and no one really wants-"

"Stop the pity party" I say before turning to him. "When you're getting beaten up don't say 'why me?' Say 'try me.' and than beat the living crap out of them."

He looked mildly horrified and I decided to tone it back a little. "Or at least defend yourself. Whichever you want." I say. "We have about a week and you need to be caught up on everything within that time. You seem well acquainted with your weapons so next thing to do is build your muscle and teach you how to fight. Really fight. Not pick on people younger than you like some like to do."

I walk away and when he doesn't follow me I turn and look back at him.

"Are you going to make me wait or do your legs not work? Pick your feet up kid and close your mouth, time is ticking."

Patrick looked confused and agast but he stumbled after me.

"You need to know how to climb but I'm assuming you already know right?" I say.

"Um, yes?" He says in confusion.

"Than you need to be able to dangle for a while, it might come in handy."

"Um sir?" He asked "What is happening?"

I look back at him and quirk an eyebrow up "What else would be happening? I'm training you. You're my ally now."

"I am?" He gasped.

"Unless you don't want to be" I say, truly curious at what he does want. If he doesn't than it would be such a waste of perfectly good talent.

"No I do!" He exclaimed. "But don't you want-"

"Bullies? Backstabber? Well and able cocky victors? I'll pass thanks." I grunt.

"Why do you want me again?" Patrick asked, his freckled face scrunching in confusion.

I step over to him and put my hands on his shoulders "Because," I say quietly "When I die, you need to win"