Cecily Ende

I laughed through my nose and lifted the champagne glass to clash it with another drunk girl. Her force slammed against my hand and the glass shattered and the champagne spilled down my arm.

The girl laughed drunkenly and I followed suite before stumbling away from her before she turned manic.

"How's it going?" Renee asked as she walked up beside me.

My smile dropped as I leaned on towards her, my curled hair falling over my shoulders.

"These high heels are ugly and are killing my heels. Also, the dress is suffocating me. Can't you tell how much fun I'm having?"

"It's a celebration for the victor's of the games. Try to enjoy yourself, Cecily!" Renne laughed.

Obviously, she was a little tipsy as well.

"I'm going home, make sure you leave with your sister this time." I tell her before she walks off.

I get out of the stuffy building and the people surrounding it are all grinning and drinking, throwing up, and eating more.

I let out a heavy breath and it fogs in front of my face.

A car waits for me as I walk to the sidewalk.

I cross to the driver's side and he opens the door. "I'll walk" I say.

The man nods and the windows roll up before he leaves.

Walk? What was I thinking? In these heels? In this cocktail dress? I'd be lucky if I made it a block. I just don't want to get home right now. Dearest step father was home tonight. Waiting for me. That encouraged my decision to walk and be as slow as possible. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get kidnapped.

I walk about a block before my feet protest extremely loudly.

I lean against a building wall and unclasp my twelve inch heels and pull them off. My feet feel the cold ground and feel relief. I like the cold. It makes me feel stronger. I'm stiff and as unbreakable as the thickest slice of ice.

I toss the heels into the nearest trash can and wrap myself up in my feathery shawl.

I didn't dress myself tonight. If I had, I wouldn't have picked hot pink with blue feathers without sleeves.

I walk past a group of girls followed by their guards. The girls shoot me confused and worried looks before they hurry past.

You'd have to be crazy to want to walk at night in the Capitol. So many predators were waiting in the shadows, ready to pounce on the unsuspecting girl. Well, if you knew me than you'd know better than to do that.

I walk past a building that is completely lit up in a video screen of the Hunger Games' contestants. Face after face with their ranking under it.

I stop walking to watch. The coldness in my feet starts to disappear as I stare at the huge screen.

The Hunger Games.

I felt a pity for the victors that were promised comfort and never have to enter in the Hunger Games again. But if they believed that than they were all stupid. They must know that the Capitol can change the rules any which way he'd like right?

The faces change and I see the picture of a person I know but have never met. Cedric Mintz.

My mother told me endless stories about him when she got sick.

He was the leader of District 14. No, we couldn't go visit him. Yes, he was very dangerous. No, he wouldn't hurt you. No... You will never meet him.

The sadness of it all lays heavily on my shoulders.