Kyoko Kirigiri

Hey! This is a rewrite of the first chapter I ever wrote for this book. I apologize for the fact that it took about a week for this to be finished, my computer decided to act up. All those problems should be fixed though! I hope you enjoy this chapter, and have a great rest of the day!

Your talent

• You are the Ultimate Toxicologist.

How you met

• Some of your earliest memories involve your grandmother teaching you the difference between edible and poisonous plants. You can remember her stern tone as she told you how countless people have died due to eating something that they didn't think was poisonous. You completely understood what she was saying, but something piqued your interest.

• You wanted to know how ingesting those poisonous plants led to death. It wasn't enough for you to know that consuming poisonous substances was harmful, you wanted to understand the details of how and why it was harmful.

• This led you down a road that placed a heavy emphasis on life science. In particular, you studied biology, chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, and medicine. Understanding those disciplines of science led to you being well-versed in the science of poison and its effects on the body: Toxicology.

• Since it's definitely rare for a child to understand information that is covered in medical school, you received a lot of attention from various academic institutions. One of the schools most interested in you was Hope's Peak Academy. While you were only in the 2nd grade, they told you that you'd be admitted as the Ultimate Toxicologist when it was time for you to go to high school.

• Many years had passed, and you were now sitting in your very own lab at Hope's Peak. It was difficult to wait so long for it to happen, but the time was finally here. You'd been a student there for over a month, and it was everything you'd ever imagined it to be. The only thing that wasn't great about it was the loneliness. Due to the nature of your talent, and the dangers it could pose to people, you didn't get the chance interact with many other students. In fact, you only really talked to students that you could help or learn from.

• At this particular moment, you were analyzing a sample of water provided to you by the Ultimate Marine Biologist. They'd procured the sample from an aquarium in a nearby city, and they were concerned that something in the water was causing the aquatic life to become sick.

• You ran tests to determine what chemical compounds were present in the water. The first few tests didn't take very long and, once they were finished, you complied a list of things that seemed out of the ordinary. After this, you exited the lab part of the classroom and entered the part with a computer. You started to research how each chemical could impact animals that live in water, while simultaneously working on the longer tests.

• While you were in the middle of your research, you heard a knock at the door. Without looking away from your computer, you told whoever was at the door to come inside. The door opened and someone you'd never seen before walked inside. It was a girl with pale purple hair, dressed in various shades of the color purple. You had a feeling she was a serious and no-nonsense person, based on the fact that she walked quickly and with a purpose. In her hands, she was holding something that you were able to recognize as an evidence bag.

• You made a mark on your list to indicate where you stopped, and asked the girl if there was anything she needed from you. She gave a slight nod and said, "My name is Kyoko Kirigiri, and I am the Ultimate Detective. I've come to talk with you regarding your abilities as the Ultimate Toxicologist. Currently, I'm working on a homicide case, and poison is always something to consider in this kind of situation. Since the victim died shortly after brushing his teeth, I wanted to ask you to test for any poison on his toothbrush. Any information you get from the analysis will assist me in this case."