Chapter 1

The sun was shining down on me as I lay in the soft grass, I was in my own space where not many people really knew about. Only my brother Ben knew about this place, well he was the only one who knew. He was the one who spent hours looking for me when I went 'missing'. And by missing, I mean we played hide and seek for hours, and he couldn't find me, so he told our parents, who then had to help find me.

"You know, one day someone is going to find you here and then you won't have a secret place no more." I hear a voice appear next to me; I look to see it was Ben.

"Then I'll have to find another spot, until then I'd appreciate it if you didn't show anyone else where it was." I scold him, he looks away in shame.

"You know?"

"Yes, I saw you and Mal then Mal decided to tell Evie and the others. Who no doubt has now told everyone else."

"I'm sorry, I just kind of wanted to impress Mal. And this place is so beautiful, I thought she'd like it."

"Yeah, well now I only get an hour a day here if I'm lucky. Everyone seems to keep coming here any chance they get, speaking of which here come the parade of needy girlfriends with their perfect boyfriends." I say with a hint of sarcasm in my voice, I get up and start walking away with Ben following me.

"I'm sorry Hallie, I didn't think."

"I know you didn't and that's why I'm not going to tell you anything anymore."

"Oh, come on really? You're playing that card, it's a bit childish over just some spot." I stop in my tracks and turn to face him, his face now just realising what he had said. "Crap, Hallie I-."

"You know full well this isn't just some spot, it's the only place I could be me. The only place I escaped everyone."

"You don't need to escape though; we've been through this. Everyone here loves you."

"If you say so." He always did do his best to try and cheer me up, but it wouldn't always work.

"Hallie, you're my sister. You shouldn't have to feel like you need to hide away from who you really are."

"And that's exactly why I need to hide away, because you're my brother. King Ben, everyone expects me to be as good as you. No one ever lets me be me, no one understands. Only Mal and the other VK kids understand Ben." He sighs before taking a step towards me. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find my boyfriend. I promised I'd help him study." I walk away from him, ignoring his calls for my name. Eventually I arrive at the usual meeting place where I would meet Chad, only this time he wasn't alone. My heart sank as I saw what was happening, neither of them seem to notice that I was there. Chad was the only boyfriend I'd ever had; we were meant to be married one day. It's true I didn't really feel like I fit in here but at least Chad let me speak to him about it all, but only because he'd forget everything or just not actually be interested. I thought I loved him; I thought being with him is what love was supposed to be. I take out my phone and take a picture of them both, revenge popped up in my head. Better yet make him pay for the pain he was causing me. I shake the feeling away and look over to the Castle, Ben was talking with Mal and Evie who were looking right at me.

"Hey Chad! I think you missed a spot while eating Audrey's face off." I yell as I turn my attention back on them, he quickly pulls away and looks at me with guilt now appearing on his face.

"Hallie, this. This isn't what it looks like, I uh. Was just practicing mouth to mouth resuscitation for if I ever need to save somebody." He jogs over to me; Audrey was smirking over at me. I've never liked her since we were kids, she always made me look like the bad one.