Chapter 21

Aliyah Staton

Really, this is what death is like? Everything is so cold, dark, and quiet; is this really how it's going to stay? There has to be something other than this; this can't be how I'm going to spend the rest of my life, or spirit life, or eternity, whatever the hell this was. I thought that there was suppose to be like a heaven and hell, I'm just stuck in limbo between the two I guess; maybe they couldn't decide where to put me.

I couldn't stop myself from thinking; I mean really what else did I have to do? I just ran through all the things that have happened in my life and when I came back to my last day alive I would start over again. I was at about the age eleven in what felt like my millionth trip down memory lane, when I heard the voices. I couldn't hear them clearly but I could tell they were male; anyone's voice at this point was better than listening to myself.

I tried to concentrate on the voices to see if I could make out what they were saying; I wish that they would just talk a little louder, I can almost hear them. I listened and listened for what seemed like hours; the voices would come and go as the minutes ticked on. I started mentally counting the seconds as they passed between hearing voices; it had been almost ten minutes, that was a long time. I wondered to myself if maybe they had gone away and I was back in limbo.

"Ali please come back to me." The words echoed in my mind, although they came through only as a whisper.

It was the first words that I had been able to understand, they were far away but I understood every word; a glimmer of hope came over me. I willed my body to move towards the sound but to no avail; it wasn't moving it still felt like concrete. I waited as the voices became more and more clear.

If I had counted correctly mentally I think I had been in this state for three days now. I could hear everyone around me but I still couldn't move or see. It was beginning to get really frustrating, and I was getting bitchy. All I could do was listen to everyone talking about how they wished I would get better, and wanting to know why I haven't woke up yet.

It made me so angry that I couldn't answer them. I just wanted to scream 'I am awake!', but my body wouldn't let me. I couldn't even feel my body it was completely numb, I had no response at all when I tried to move my limbs. If I was going to spend the rest of my life as a vegetable like this, then I wish Jordan would have just killed me. I can't take this anymore, I thought as I mentally cried to myself.

I could hear the house clearing out for the night and my mind started to relax. This was beginning to become my favorite part of the day, when I could be alone. It was just so frustrating not being able to talk to everyone around me; it was nice to just be alone for a while. I started to rest my overworked mind as I heard the last few people leave the house.

I don't know why everyone was here all the time anyways, it's not like there was anything that they could do to help me; they didn't even know that I could hear them. It was basically just a bunch of people sitting around feeling sorry for me and I hated it. I didn't want them all to feel bad about me; I just wanted them to move on with their lives. I heard footsteps come back into the room; they were lighter than the footsteps I came to recognize as my fathers.

"Please Ali come back to me," Amaro's voice whispered to me.

It tore me apart inside when he did this; I just wished I was able to answer him back. Feelings of sorrow began to feel me again, I just wanted to die and get this over with already... Wait, what the hell was that? I felt a tingling feeling coming from somewhere. I tried to focus my mind on the feeling to pin point it. I felt the feeling again, stronger this time; it was like someone was applying pressure to me.