Chapter 18

Aliyah Staton

"Open your eyes," Amaro said holding me tightly around my waist while my body tilted backwards over the cliff.

I opened my eyes to see an upside down view of the city. The way the lights shined off of all the buildings, casting colorful rays of light across the city; it was intoxicating. I was so enticed by the view that I forgot all about being just feet away from the edge of a cliff hanging half way upside; my only tie to solid ground was Amaro's arms around me. I took one last look at the breathtaking view before I pulled myself back up in Amaros arms; when he felt me start to pull he did his part to help me up.

"That was amazing. Thanks for making me do it," I said after taking a few steps back away from the cliff.

"You're welcome. I told you it was worth it," he replied smirking.

Amaro took off his jacket and laid it on the ground for me to sit on. We sat a few feet away from the edge of the cliff just taking in the view. I was so caught up in the view that I almost forgot my half of the deal we made.

"Are you going to tell me why you didn't want me to go to that party now?" I asked looking over at Amaro sitting next to me.

"Are you sure you want to know?" He asked looking uneasy about the conversation.

"Yeah, I'm sure. If you don't tell me it will just drive me crazy wondering why," I said urging him to tell me.

"He's a vampire," he admitted watching me for my reaction.

"What?" I yelled jumping to my feet.

What the fuck? Why didn't he tell me this earlier? I can't believe that I danced with that guy. And he kissed me! Yuck! Agh, this is just crazy. Oh my god Georgia and the others went to his party; realization hit me that my friends are in danger.

"Why didn't you tell me? You said that there were no other vampires at our school! My friends are at that party, they could all be dead; why didn't you tell me to stop them?" I yelled as tears started rolling down my face. I was pacing back and forth trying to calm myself down unsuccessfully.

"Look how you are reacting right now Aliyah, this is exactly why I didn't tell you. I didn't know about the guy until tonight so I had no idea he was going to our school. I'm sure your friends are fine, vampires like to keep a low profile; they don't kill people from where they live," Amaro said walking over to me and pulling me into his arms.

"If you are so sure that they are fine then why wouldn't you let me go?" I said sobbing, not sure if he could even understand me through my cries.

"Ali it is my job to look after you, I couldn't take a risk of anything happening to you. The best way for me to make sure that you are safe is to keep you with me," he said as he stroked my back trying to ease my sobbing.

I tried to control my crying and bring myself back to a normal state of mind. What was wrong with me, I never cried in front of anyone; this was so unlike me. The reason I was crying was confusing too; I was crying over my friends. I realized that I couldn't deny it anymore, I really did like the people here; I never wanted to have to leave them behind.

The feeling of being wrapped up Amaro's strong warm arms was so relaxing; I never wanted to leave that place. Amaro was right it was a good thing that he didn't tell me that Jordan was a vampire; I can't imagine how embarrassed I would have been to react like I did in the middle of the dance. Not to mention what would I have said to Georgia to make her not go to the party? It's not like I can just be like 'yeah he's a vampire so you probably should stay away from him.' Yeah, I'm sure that would go over really well with her.

I shivered as a gust of wind blew across my back and Amaro pulled me in closer to his body. I didn't care how cold I got, I could stay locked in his arms forever. Geez, why was I thinking that about him? He didn't even like me, did he?

"It's getting late, I should get you home," Amaro said pulling away from our embrace.

Well there goes my stay here forever thought; I nodded to let him know I was ready to go. Before I knew what was happening my feet left the ground and he had me cradled in his arm. Well I can't complain, this position wasn't so bad either, I thought to myself as he carried me effortlessly down the path. All too soon he lowered me back down to my feet once we were at the truck.

I crawled into the truck being careful to hold my dress down in the back and waited for Amaro to get in the driver's seat. When he didn't start the car right away I looked over to find him staring at me. Without a word he reached over wrapping his hand around my waist and pulled me to sit next to him. The warmth of his body instantly drew me closer to him and I snuggled my head into his shoulder as he started to truck.

The ride home was in silence but I didn't care; I was just happy cuddling up next to Amaro with his arm around me. I wonder how I went from fighting with him a few weeks ago to me being wrapped up in his arm now. I questioned myself on what being there with him tonight meant. Did it mean that he liked me, or was he just being a nice guy and keeping me warm? I really wanted to know how he felt towards me but I was too chicken to ask. The truck came to a stop in my driveway after what felt like only minutes. Amaro helped me out of his truck and walked me to my door.

"Thanks for picking me up and bringing me home, and for the cliff, and the Jordan thing," I said once we got to the door. 'God shut up Ali your rambling,' I yelled at myself after I realized how stupid I had to sound.

"You're welcome," Amaro said with a chuckle. "I had a great time with you tonight Aliyah," he continued as he took my hand in his.

"Me too," I admitted quietly looking down at our interlocked hands.

"I should go now," Amaro replied as he rubbed his thumb across the edge of my face causing me to look up at him. It almost looked like he was torn between leaving and staying; I wished that he would choose the latter option.

"Ok, goodnight Amaro," I said when it looked like he wasn't going to chose to stay.

"Goodnight Aliyah," he said back as he pulled my hand to his mouth and kissed it.

Amaro dropped my hand and turned to walk back to his truck. Well a kiss on the hand was a good sign, right? I would have preferred a real kiss, but at this point I would take anything I could get. I don't know why I was falling so hard and fast for Amaro. What I did know is that when I was around him it was like nothing else mattered, I was starting to feel really comfortable around him. Above all he made me feel safe, I felt like nothing could hurt me as long as he was around.

I found that my dad was already in bed when I got home. I grabbed my phone out of my bag and dropped the bag by the door then headed up to my room. I sent Georgia a quick text telling her to text me in the morning and let me know how the party was. I was still worried about her but I guess that there really wasn't anything I could do about it; I just had to trust Amaro that she was going to be alright. I flipped off the bedside light and pulled the blanket over me then drifted off to sleep.

837Uv4(b