Chapter 13

Aliyah Staton

The feeling of something rough and wet on my face woke me up the next morning. I opened my eyes just as a big pink tongue licked my cheek.

"Eww, stop that." I said sitting up. The wolf leaned back showing a little bit of his teeth; it looked like he was smiling.

"Do you think that's funny?" I asked wiping my cheek off with the sleeve of my shirt. He let out a half bark and wagged his tail to confirm my suspicions.

"If you're in my house you will have to follow my rules and that means no face licking, got it?" I said looking to him for a response. I guess if werewolves and vampires could exist than it wasn't that farfetched to believe that this werewolf could understand what I was saying. He dropped his head to his chest and his ears fell flat showing he was sorry was for what he had done.

"Good, now I think it's time for you to go home before the big bad wolves come looking for you." I opened the door to let him out; he gave me the normal parting lick to the hand as he trotted out the door.

I called Georgia to let her know that I was alright. I told her that I must have had some type of flu bug to explain why I all of a sudden got sick and had to leave the party. She wanted to go shopping for homecoming dresses and I thought it would be a good way to keep my mind off of the previous night's events. I told her that I would meet her in town in a few hours and headed off to take a shower. When I got into town we went to store after store trying to find the right dresses, shoes, and accessories. She chose a strapless bright pink short dress covered in little pink crystals. I found a light green halter style dress that came down in layers to just below my knees; we both though that it complimented my emerald green eyes. The back of the dress was open down to my hips other than a thin ribbon that crisscrossed up the length of my back to the bottom of my shoulder blades. We picked out some shoes to match each of our dresses then I headed back home.

I needed some time to sort through what happened last night. I was happy to find a note from my dad saying that he would be out late and I shouldn't wait up. I strolled into his office in search of some information on 'weres and vamps'. I picked out the three books that looked to be the least fictional. After a few hours of reading I was more confused than I was before I started. There were so many different legends that are so different from one another, I didn't know what to believe. The only real things that I had to go off of were the things that I had seen with my own eyes; I pulled out a pad of paper and made a list.

Vampire's (I think?)

*Cute (well at least the one I came across)

*Fangs (but not all the time)

*Weird eye thing (what I assume is compulsion according to 'Vampire Legends')

*Can't touch my necklace (still confused about this)

Werewolves (I think?)

*Oversized wolves (obviously)

*Know how to kill vampires

Shit, this wasn't helping at all; all I managed to do was make a list of obvious things. I still didn't have the answer to my question, 'how do you know if someone is a vampire?', unless I went around asking everyone to touch my necklace. Still, how did I know if that worked with every vampire, or was it just Bobby? I still had no idea about werewolves. I tried to fight back the thought that kept creeping up in the back of my mind. There was no way I was going to do that; no, I wouldn't bring myself to do it. Damn, I knew I didn't have a choice; I was going to have to ask Amaro. It was either him or my father, and I wasn't ready for my father's fifty questions. I know that if I asked Amaro it was either going to be him laughing at my insane claim to be attacked by a vampire and saved by werewolves, or he would have information to tell me.

After having dinner with my dad – who happened to make it home sooner than he had thought he would - and trying my best to act 'normal', I headed upstairs to go to bed. I was almost sleeping when I heard the familiar pawing at my patio door; I got up and opened the door to invite the little brown wolf in. He wagged his tail excitedly and went to sit next to the bed. I climbed in and he stuck his head over the edge asking to come up; I smiled and patted the bed next to me.

"Don't forget the rules," I whispered to him as I pet him between his ears until I fell asleep.

The next morning I woke up feeling too hot when the alarm clock sounded. I rolled to turn it off only to be stopped by a big furry object. I let out a small giggle when instead of moving out of my way he rolled over on his back and gave me a sideways grin.

"You are too cute for your own good," I said as I tickled his furry belly; he let out what sounded like a laugh as he squirmed his way out of bed. I hit the alarm to turn it off and got myself out of bed.

It was lunch period and I mindlessly listened to Georgia carry on about how much fun homecoming was going to be. I really couldn't concentrate on what she was saying and she caught me off guard a few times with a jab to the shoulder to get my attention.

"Ali!" My head jerked up to meet her cold eyes staring back at me. "I don't know what has you all obsessed with him," she motioned with her hand to where Amaro was sitting, "but if you don't go talk to him, then I will go ask him to come over here!" Georgia ended her sentence tapping her finger on the table to make a point.

Wow, she was mad. I don't think I have ever seen her mad before. She had a point though; I had already tried to go talk to Amaro three times today and managed to chicken out each time. I just couldn't figure out what the right thing to say was.

"Fine, I will go talk to him. I just wanted to thank him for the ride home, and I'm embarrassed about it," I lied, getting up from the table; nervously I made my way over to Amaro's table.

"Can we talk?" I asked looking down at my hands.

"Give us a minute," Amaro said looking at the other guys at the table. All at once they rose from their seats taking their trays with them. Geez, I didn't mean that they had to go; I was thinking more like Amaro would just take a walk with me.

"Sit," he said motioning to the seat across from him; I obeyed.

"Ok," he said calmly, waiting for me to continue.

"Umm, those wolves that follow you around... are they... umm... special?" I asked still not looking up from the table. How are you supposed to ask someone if they hang out with werewolves?

"What do you mean special?" He asked; his voice lower as he leaned in closer to me. Damn, he was going to make this difficult.

"Why are they so big, especially the black one?" I asked, that being the only question other than 'do werewolves really exist?' that popped into my head at the time. Amaro chuckled and sat back in his seat.

"Healthy diets," he answered casually, a smirk forming on his face. Agh, screw this, I was getting nowhere with him like this.

"Do werewolves exist?" I finally asked getting the courage to look him in the eyes. I was shocked when his expression changed; there was a hint of fear there but he quickly covered it up.

"There are some things that are better left unknown Aliyah," he said standing up from the table. "I have to go," he added before quickly departing.

What the hell, that didn't answer any of my questions. Some things are better left unknown, what the hell was that supposed to mean? I knew exactly what it was supposed to mean and I knew it was true. I would have much rather skipped that party Saturday and I wouldn't be in this position right now because vampires and werewolves would still be 'unknown' to me. Well if Amaro wasn't going to give me answers then that left only one option, my father; I cringed at the thought of all the questions that he was going to drill me with, but I needed answers.

3