thirty one

When it came down to me leaving her to go discuss the scans, she threw a fit.

"Please don't leave me here alone" she cried, begging me.

She begged me to call Calum, which I couldn't do.
She begged me to take her to Austin, who was still sleeping from his chemo.

"What about Harry?" I asked, hearing her immediately whine.

"You know Harry, Austin trusts him" I proposed, seeing her swollen from crying eyes continue to just look at me.

"Let's give it a try and if you're miserable I'll get Harry to page me and I'll come right back." I proposed.

Something had to work.

"And then Calum will be here in less than an hour, so you don't have to tolerate Harry for that long." I smiled, letting her smile from the joke.

"Okay" she mumbled.

I got Harry, giving him the rundown of her long day, and he was more than willing to sit with her, so that's what we did.

I made sure that she was okay with him before running to the meeting that I was already late for

Montana.

Harry and I talked about strictly Austin.

"So is he really really sick?" I asked.

"I can't disclose that information with you, it's breaking the law" he spoke quietly.

"Even if you're aware that he talks about it to me?" I asked him.

"If he talks to you about it, then why are you asking me?" He had the smallest smile, which made me smile, touchè.

"He just told me he has nine months to get lungs-" "correct." Harry spoke.

"So what happens at ten months?" I asked, making him exhale.

"He is not predicted to make it to ten months." Harry told me slowly.

I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"So how exactly does he go from perfect condition to dead like that-" "it's a gradual decrease in health." He spoke.

He exhaled before grabbing my hand gently.

"It starts with shortness of breath- which is where he is at right now. He gets easily winded walking or doing non strenuous activities. This doesn't require oxygen unless he asks for it, which of course he doesn't do." He told me calmly.

"But soon he will realize he can't easily regain his breath, which will cause him to need oxygen."

"Then it will become a continuous oxygen situation." He spoke.

"And then we will be forced to give him a breathing tube and sedate him into a coma so that his lungs can rest. He most likely won't come out of this unless he receives new lungs. His mom and him decided to try this for two months and if he doesn't receive lungs by then, it's time." Harry spoke calmly, clearly not supposed to tell me this much information, but I was so glad to know.

"What- why only two months?" I asked quickly.

"Austin and his mom have been here for years already, Montana." Harry spoke slowly.

"Two months is also a long time to be without motor function and human contact, two months is a good choice." He told me calmly.

"Okay" I mumbled, nodding.

"He'll get lungs, I know it." I told Harry, seeing him smile.

"He will." Harry nodded in agreement.

I exhaled, leaning back in the bed, seeing him smile.

"Can I give you some unasked for advice?" He spoke, making me nod.

"If you love him, which I think you do." Harry spoke with a bright smile.

"Tell him." He spoke firmly, making me immediately laugh.

"I'm serious" Harry laughed back with me.

"You two have something I never see- you are both crazy about each other-" "but yet dying." I spoke.

"Don't say that" he quickly interrupted.

"But- I'm just saying. No one is guaranteed forever or tomorrow." He spoke firmly.

"If you love him, tell him."