nineteen

An hour later I was laying down, facing away from the door when I heard foot steps behind me.

"I'm still mad at you" I spoke, fully expecting it to be Noah.

"That's tragic, you lose one bet and stay mad for hours?"

Austin

I turned and saw him standing with a smug smile.

"I thought you were Noah" I laughed, pausing my movie and completely turning to him.

"Why are we mad at Noah?" He asked me.

"Noah didn't tell me I was losing an entire ovary through this shit" I mumbled, seeing Austin's eyes widen.

"Damn, cancer sucks" he mumbled.

"I'm losing a whole set of lungs and you're losing a whole ovary." He mumbled slowly.

Him and I chatted back and forth about how we felt and such.

"So I say after chemo tomorrow we bet on-" "tomorrow is my last day of chemo for this week and I'm pretty sure it's really early" I spoke to him, seeing him immediately groan.

"They take away all the fun" he rolled his eyes, making me smile.

"Yeah because us holding in throw up was just a blast."

He ended up completely sitting in bed with me where we talked for over an hour before Luke joined us again.

"Austin, good to see you" he smiled as he came to me, putting a blood pressure cup around my arm and letting us all go silent as it tightened around my arm.

Noah came in just as Luke announced that it was normal.

"Hey is there anyway we can move her chemo appointment tomorrow, I know it's really early, they moved my interview to early in the morning as well." He spoke quickly.

"Oh man, I'm afraid the only other appointment for chemo would be late in the afternoon-" "that would work." Noah interrupted.

"I didn't really want to do it late, because that means I'll be leaving before all of the side effects decrease and-" "she's not going to want to do it without me there, let's just do it later and then the other doctor can take care of her, no big deal." Noah smiled firmly.

Luke and I made eye contact and he exhaled slowly.

"Thanks bro, I just really need this job." Noah exhaled before leaving to take another phone call.

I knew he was stressed about money, so I couldn't even say anything about what he was doing.

He was simply trying to keep me comfortable throughout chemo along with getting a job to pay for our basic necessities.

"Well at least you will have a pretty good day tomorrow, won't feel sick until the night." Austin tried to lighten the mood of the room.

"Yeah- I'll just make fun of you throwing up"

Luke checked a few things out with me before exhaling.

"You know the drill, I'm about to leave for the night, Calum will be in shortly, need anything from me?" He asked me slowly.

"No, thank you though." I smiled to him.

He smiled back immediately.

"Okay kiddo, get some rest. Austin, don't have my girl roaming the halls too late!" He spoke firmly, making Austin laugh.

"I would never."

4am.

"You have to stop laughing so loud" austin laughed as I was literally in tears, us both staring to a pancake that we tried to flip without a spatula, that was now stuck to the roof of the kitchen.

The cafeteria staff was nice enough to let us cook pancakes, and this is how we repay them.

"You're totally going to get us caught." He spoke as I held myself up by the counter, wiping my tears.

I took a quick Snapchat video of the situation, hearing him laughing at it.

"It's falling" he announced.

Before I knew it, it fell, plopping right back into the pan we were using.

"How convenient, this one is yours." He smiled to me, making me roll my eyes at him.

We roamed the halls for a while after cleaning the mess in the kitchen, no code purple had been called yet, so we knew we were okay to do so.

Him and I were soon seated on a window ledge close to the nurses desk, where we could hear our doctors and nurses quietly talking.

"Tired?" He asked me as I yawned, honestly- extremely tired.

"No" I told him, seeing him smile.

"Montana" he exhaled with his smile

Austin.

She made my heart skip beats

But wasn't this just tragic

I find someone who I like strongly and we are both fighting a disease with no cure, pretty typical for my luck.

"What?" She smiled, her dimples increasing as she stared to me.

"Nothing" I hummed to her, seeing her roll her eyes

"Come on-" "okay guys" calum's voice interrupted us.

"Luke and Harry are going to be here in about an hour and they are both going to be pissed if they find out that their patients didn't get any rest." He spoke, referring to both of our doctors.

"All we do is rest" montana smiled, but jumped down from the window ledge as she did.

"And you need even more rest, your body is fighting a lot" Calum spoke, throwing an arm around her

She was close with her doctors.

I guess we all were, me and Harry are cool, but I couldn't help but feel like there was a different type of care between her doctors and her.

Not like a love care, just like a genuine care, wanting her to get out of here.

"Come on, Austin" Calum pulled me out of my thoughts, making me join them in walking to our rooms.

"Say goodnight and no more sneaking out for tonight." Calum spoke sternly, leaving us at her door.

She laughed lightly, looking up to me slightly.

"I'm coming to wake you up to be miserable with me throughout my chemo." I told her, seeing her smile.

"Deal" she nodded firmly

Was I supposed to hug her?
Kiss her?
No, too soon.

Hug though?

She stopped my thoughts by raising her fist

We fist bumped

"See you soon"