Chapter 23

"How was your trip?" One of my Officers ask me.

"It was okay.. Long, but it was okay."

"Did she try and get into your pants again?"

"No.. No but she did say she couldn't believe I told Regina about it."

"I bet.."

"Your cousin is crazy.." I laugh.

"I know it."

"Hi there.. Now what is a pretty little thing like you doing here all by yourself?" I hear officer Cameron Briggs say.  He's one of my new recruits.

"I'm looking for Emma." I hear my name and that's when I know it's Regina.

"Boss lady is busy with paper work how about I help you.. I'm sure I could be of assistance." He says with a smile.

"I bet you could be but I want Emma.. And thank you for the help." She says and makes her way over to me but he grabs her by the arm, not to hard though because if he did I'll shoot his ass.. Literally.. I will shoot him..

"I'm sure I could help you ma'am.. I'm sorry I didn't get your name."

"That's because I didn't give it to you."

"My name is Cameron Briggs." He says with a smile.

"And my name is Regina."

"Nice to meet you Regina, it would go good with Briggs one day."

"Sorry.. I have a last name already and I like it more the way it is.. I would like my arm back please."

"So you're not going to tell me what your last name is??" He says.

"Oh shit.. I'm sorry.. Baby do you want to tell him what my last name is or should I do it?" She says looking at me, which causes him to look at me.

"Baby?? Wait a second sooooo.. You and Emma are.."

"Married?? Yes.. My name is Regina Swan-Mills.. And I'm Emma's Wife and the mother of our 3 children." Regina smiles.

"Boss I'm sorry I didn't know.. Had I known she was your wife I wouldn't have crossed that line."

"You're new.. You'll learn." I say..

"My arm?" Regina repeats..

"Shit.. Sorry.. My apologies.." He let's go and Regina walks over to me with a smirk on her face..

"Hey baby." She says and I grab her by the waist and kiss her..

"Hello beautiful."

"Can you have lunch with me." She says.

"I can't leave but you are welcome to stay.."

"Okay.. I'll meet you in your office in about 30 minutes.. I'll go grab us something." She winks at me and walks off and that's when I noticed Officer Briggs staring at her.

"Is my wife going to be a problem for you???? I would hate to have to fire you before your shift even gets interesting."

"(Clears Throat) No ma'am.. I'm sorry."

"Apologizing will not help you but I do except it.. Now get to work.." I walk off and go to my office and shut the door..... Fucking great.. I hate when people go after my wife.... She's mine.. And mine alone..

——————————————————————

"Did you apply to any colleges yet?" I ask Sam.

"No not yet.. I'm waiting another 6 months to a year." She says..

"I'm Sorry.. What?????"

"Ma said I could." She says..

"Baby??" I call for Regina.

"Yes my love?" She walks in the living to join us.

"Sam said she was waiting an awful long time to go to college."

"Yeah she wants to work a year and then go off to college.. She is graduating early after all.."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask Sam.

"I didn't think you would approve. That's why I'm hear tonight instead of out with my friends.. I only told ma this morning so don't think we we're keeping this from you.. We would never talk about stuff behind your back mom."

"(Laughs) I know that baby.. Thank you."

"I love you mom and I promise I'm going to college. I just want to work first and.."

"I'm not trying to cut you off or anything but why do you want to work? You have a trust fund with half a million dollars in it and you also have another account with $400,000 dollars in it... Let's not forget the half million is yours to spend sand 400,000 is for college."

"I know that mom, but me and Henry already get teased enough about how we don't understand what's it like to come from nothing.. They always say we don't know the struggle."

"Well that may be true but me and your mother did struggle.. For a long time and that's why we worked our ass off so that you, your brother and your sister don't have to."

"I know and I love you both for that, but I still want to do it.. I promise I'm not going to work anywhere dangerous."

"I know.. So come work for me."

"I'm sorry?" She says.

"All you have to do is make sure all the paper is in the correct order and then take them to your mother's office."

"That's it?"

"That's it.. And I promise you will clock in like the rest of us and get paid with a real check.. I will try and pay you out of my pocket."

"Thank you mom... I would love too."

"You would love to what?" Henry ask.

"Mom said I can come work with her when we graduate.."

"Oh okay.." Henry says and he gives a small smile but it's a sad one.

"Hey buddy what's wrong?"

"It's nothing.. I'm going to my room."

"Henry Swan-Mills you come back here." Regina says. Henry looks at her and then comes to sit. "What's wrong baby?"

"It's nothing really."

"I guess we'll all sit here until you tell us.. Here, hold your sister I have to pee." Regina hand Abby to Henry and she starts to smile..

"Hey baby girl?" Henry whispers to her with a smile.

"Henry? Look at me." I say.

"Mom I'm fine."

"Your sister is not applying to be a cop if that's why you're upset."

"Fucking great!!!" He yells.

"HENRY!!!" Regina yells at him.

"Sorry ma.. I got a little excited.. I thought my sister was applying to be a cop."

"Well she's not.. She will be doing paper work."

"Okay.. So does that mean I can apply to be a cop?"

"No." I say.

"But mom I want to.. I see what you do and I want to help people and.."

"There are other ways to help people.. Become a doctor."

"I want to be a cop like you." He says.

"No.. And this conversation is over.. I'll take your sister upstairs and put her to bed." I say getting up and reaching for Abby..

"Mom I.." He started to say something and I just keep walking.. I will not have my son follow into my foot steps and get hurt.. Our family had already been through enough.

"Emma?" I hear Regina say.

"The answer is no Regina.. I'm going to put Abby down for bed and then I'll join you in our room okay?" I say and she nods before I shut the door to Abby's room..