chapter sixteen

Y/N:
As my eyes adjusted to the light coming from the tv, I sat up on the couch. "Hi sleepyhead," Mom speaks softly, tucking my hair behind my ear. "Hi," I smile tiredly, barley being able to keep my eyes open. "How are you feeling?" She questions. "My head hurts," I groan, leaning my head on her shoulder.

"Do you want some ibuprofen?" Maria offers. "Yes, please," I smile thankfully. "Alright, I'll be back in a second," She says, getting up from the couch and going into the kitchen.

Mom and I sit in silence as she runs her fingers through my hair.
When a notification comes up on my phone, I reach for it and see a few messages from Kate.

Kate: hey, just checking to see how you're doing?
Kate: let me know if there's anything I can do.
Kate: and if you want to talk to anyone about it, I'm here.

A small smile creeps on my lips before I place my phone back down on the coffee table as Maria comes back with the ibuprofen and some water. "Thank you," I say. She kisses the top of my head before sitting back down next to me.

"Can we have spaghetti for dinner?" I request randomly. Both mom and Maria chuckle. "Yes, we can have spaghetti for dinner," Mom answers, pulling me closer and kissing my check.

~

Eventually I got up from the couch to shower and get into my pyjamas. Even though it's only just gone five p.m, I wasn't planning on doing anything tonight so there was no point getting back into day clothes.

As I was drying my hair with a towel, I walked back into my bedroom and realised I'd never replied to Kate, so I sat down on my bed and did that.

Me: I'll be okay. Thank you for checking in on me, it means a lot!

I waited a few minutes before messaging her again.

Me: are you free anytime this week to hang out?
Me: obviously no pressure, you don't have to. just though I'd ask :)

Kate: of course! I have work until Friday, but we can do something Saturday?
Me: okay, yeah Saturday works for me.
Kate: great, do you want to go for lunch or something?
Me: lunch sounds good :)
Kate: perfect, I'll see you then!

I smile to myself and plug my phone into the charger before walking out into the kitchen. "Hey, dinner will be ready in a few," Mom tells me. "Okay," I smile, sitting down at one of the kitchen stools.

"Where's Maria?" I question. "She just went out to get some ice cream," She explains. "Is she getting cookies and cream?" I ask hopefully. "Of course she is," She chuckles.

A few moments of silence fill the room as I rest my head in my arms, leaning on the counter. "Are you okay sweetheart?" She questions concernedly. "Yeah-" I drag out with a sigh. "That doesn't sound convincing," Her tone is full of worry.

I lift my head up and rest my chin in my hands, my elbows on the counter. "I don't know, I feel kind of numb. Well, I don't know if I feel numb but that's the best I can explain it. Like I don't feel numb in the sense that I can't feel anything, I guess it's more that...I'm always waiting for the next bad thing to happen and I feel like I'm becoming immune to it if that makes sense?"

My moms tilts her head slightly as a frown forms on her face. "I understand that," She acknowledges. "I want you to remember though, that you aren't the things that happen to you. Honey, you've been through so much - more than anyone should ever have to go through, but still, you are the most incredible young woman I know. This world sucks sometimes, but you deserve more than to live in constant fear of something bad happening.
And before you say anything about this being cheesy, I want you to know that I mean it when I say I look up to you a lot, sweetheart. I know I'm your mother and it's meant to be the other way around, but you're my inspiration, detka."

A few tears fall from my eyes so I quickly wipe them before standing up and walking around to the other side of the counter to give her a hug. She wraps her arms around my tightly and kisses my head. "I love you so so much, mama," I mumble. "I love you too, sweetheart."

"Just incase you didn't already know, you're my inspiration too," I tell her. She pulls away from the hug and gives me a genuine smile before engulfing me back into her arms.

When Maria got back, mom served up spaghetti bolognese for the three of us and we sat down at the dining table to eat.

"Mom, do you still have that lawyer? Miss Danvers?" I question. "I mean I haven't needed a lawyer in a while but yeah, I'm sure we could get her again," She explains.

"Okay...it's just that Levi is a regular customer at work and I don't think I'd cope if I had to see him again so I think I want to file a restraining order," I admit hesitantly, scared that she'll think I'm overreacting. "Okay," Mom nods with an understanding smile. "I'll give her a call tomorrow and see what I can do," She says. "Thank you," I mumble.

"Also, would it be okay if one of you walked with me to work tomorrow or dropped me off? I don't want to walk alone," I ask. "Of course, 'Ria's working but I can take you," Mom smiles. "Thanks."

~

After dinner we all had ice cream - cookies and cream of course - and then I watched Netflix on my laptop before deciding to have an early night.

It was just after nine p.m when I said goodnight to mom and Maria, and went to bed.

I stared at my ceiling for a good few hours trying to get to sleep, but my mind kept replaying the events of this morning.

I thought about going to moms bed, but I tried convincing myself that I didn't need her to sleep - but that didn't work so I gave up and quietly made my way into her room.

Thankfully Maria and mom were on different sides of the bed so I was able to crawl into the middle, accidentally waking Maria up in the process. "You okay, honey?" She questions in a groggy voice. "Is it okay if I sleep in here tonight?" I ask hesitantly. "Sure," She smiles tiredly, pulling the blanket down so I can climb under it. "Thank you," I say.

"Goodnight, Y/N," She says quietly. "Goodnight," I mumble. "Love you."
Her eyes are already closed again but a small smile forms on her lips. "I love you too, honey."

___________
A/N: i don't know why this felt like it took forever to write but I got there in the end aha

I hope you all have a lovely day/night!

Also I've decided on writing a Scarlett x daughter figure for the next book I make and I already have ideassss so I'm excited