chapter six

Friday afternoon

Y/N:
"Mom, I'm back!" I call out as I walk through the apartment door.

"Hey, how did it go?" She questions, walking out of my room with a box of things and putting it down near the door.

"It went really well actually," I admit. "I'm officially done with my sophomore year of college!"

Mom pouts and tilts her head. "What?" I ask with a small chuckle. "You're growing up way to fast for my liking," She frowns and pulls me into a hug.

"Thanks for doing all this," I smile as I look around at everything packed up in boxes. Thankfully the furniture came with the place so there was no heavy lifting or anything needed. "You're welcome, sweetheart," She smiles back.

"Oh, there's a box in the bedroom that I haven't labeled yet because it's full of random things," She points out. "Oh, that's my MJ box. Everything in there she gave to me so..." I admit awkwardly and mom nods in understanding.

"I'm probably just gonna throw it away," I shrug with a nervous laugh. "Honey no, don't do that. You'll want to look back on it eventually," She tells me.

I don't respond for a moment before deciding that she's probably right. "Okay."

She smiles sadly and places a kiss on my forehead.

"I think everything is just about packed. Do you want to start taking boxes down or do you want to go out and grab a bite to eat first?" Mom asks. "Uh, maybe if we start taking them down and we can stop for lunch on the way home?" I suggest. "Okay, sounds good to me," She nods.

"I just need to pack up a few of my things in the bathroom," I say. "Alright, well I'll start taking the bigger boxes down to my car since there's more space and you can take the smaller ones," She suggests. "Yep," I nod.

Mom picks up a box and walks out of the apartment as I go into my bathroom and grab what I need.

In a way, this place never really felt like home. Moving in, I knew it was only going to be temporary because I don't plan to stay in Boston once I've finished college and we only signed a nine month lease. But still, knowing that this will be my last time in here, it makes me feel a little sad.

In the last nine months there were a lot of good memories made here. Peter and Ned would come and hang quite a lot.
MJ and I used to attempt - key word being attempt - to make some exotic meal once a week together and almost burn the place down, every. single. time.

Even though both MJ and I went home for Christmas, we still spent a weekend decorating the apartment. She even bought an Elf on the Shelf and committed to hiding him everyday for me to find.

I hear the door shut and I jump out of my daze. I look at myself in the bathroom mirror and notice that I started crying, so I quickly wipe away my tears and walk out with my toiletries and put them in the suitcase my clothes are in.

"Honey, are you okay?" Mom questions, noticing my sudden change in mood. "Yeah, I'm okay," I sigh and she nods.

"You got everything?" She asks. "Uh, I think so," I breathe, playing with the hem of my shirt.

Mom looks at me worried, "You sure you're okay?"
"I mean, not really," I chuckle, wiping my eyes with the palms of my hands. "But, I don't want to cry anymore because I am sick of crying."

She walks over and holds my hands tightly after wiping away my tears. "Y/N, you're allowed to cry. A lot has changed for you in the last week and you should be so proud of yourself for getting through because I most definitely am," She says reassuringly.

"Thank you, mama," I speak quietly.

"Be kind to yourself, okay? Healing has no time limit so give yourself some grace," She tells me. "Okay, I promise I'll try," I smile sadly with a small chuckle.

"Pain only makes us stronger, right?" I remind her and she smiles softly.

"I love you my beautiful girl," She smiles softly and kisses my forehead. "I love you too."

"Alright, should we take the rest of this stuff down?"
"Yep," I nod. "How many trips do you think it will take?"

"I'd say we could get it done it two," She shrugs. "You think we can get all this done in two trips?" I raise an eyebrow. "Okay maybe like four," She laughs.

~

Half an hour later, we finally finished packing everything in the car. "Hey I forgot, I need to leave my keys on the counter. I'll be right back," I inform mom. "Wait, take mine too," She says, taking the key of the chain.

I get the key from her and walk back inside, taking the elevator up to the sixth floor.

When I walk inside the apartment for the last time, I take a deep breath as I place the keys on the kitchen counter.

I look around one more time to make sure that nothing has been left behind. When I get to the bedroom and I check under the bed, I notice a dark purple and grey sweater. I pull it out and immediately recognise it as MJ's.

I smile to myself as tears brim my eyes. She used to wear it all the time - until she lost it.

Even though it's been under the bed for god knows how long, it still smells like her.

I thought about just leaving it here for a moment before deciding that I want to keep it, so I stood up from the floor and finished checking the apartment before making my way towards the front door.

I turn back one last time and smile to myself before I close the door behind me.

I guess in a way this is the end of a era in my life. I just hope the next one has a happier ending.

_________
A/N: I refuse to believe that Cobie Smulders played both Maria Hill & Robin Sparkles (aka Robin Scherbatsky)...

anyways, what's your favourite show or movie unrelated to marvel?

also, I think I've decided that I'm not going to upload anything on Sundays cause like everyone needs a day off ahah, but I'm going to try update as consistently as I can during the week for this book :)