chapter twenty-two

Y/N:
After work I went back home and showered considering I didn't have time to this morning, before deciding I wanted to take Otis for a walk. He's one of those dogs that doesn't really mind being inside a lot, but it was really nice out today so I figured, why not.

I went the to nearest dog park which was only about a ten minute walk from my house. As Otis ran around for a bit with a couple other dogs, I sat down on the park bench and watched, making sure that he wouldn't run off.

I saw someone walk past the other side of the park who was in my chemistry class at MIT, which then reminded me that exam reports come back at some point today. To be honest, I'm quite nervous about them, especially my chemistry and physics exam considering those were the two I had just after MJ and I broke up.

Last year I ranked seventh in my whole year which I was really proud of and as hard as I know I tried this year, I know I wasn't in the best place mentally so I don't have high expectations.

Otis came running back over to me and jumped up on my lap before licking my whole face. I laugh slightly before putting him back on his leash and walking him back home.

As I get in the door, he runs over to mom and Maria who are sitting on the couch and starts looking back and forth between them as his tail wags a thousand miles an hour. He always gets really excited after he's been on a walk.

I say hi before going into the kitchen a getting a glass of water. My laptop happens to be on the counter, so I open it to check if my results have come back yet.

When I open my email to see that they have, a wave of anxiety rushes through me. I click on the email which leads me to a link and then I type in my password so I can get access to the site.

When my results come up I scroll down so I can look at my GPA before anything else. My eyes widen when I see that it is a 4.0. "What the fuck," I mumble to myself, completely surprised at how high it is.

A few minutes later after checking how I did in all my classes I was actually really happy with my results so I went to check where I ended up finished overall.

"What the fuck!" I gasp, seeing that my overall exam ranking was 1/157.
"What happened?" Mom calls out.

I grab my laptop and practically run into the living room. Usually I don't get this excited over my grades, but I really wasn't expecting this.

"I ranked first in my class!" I enthuse. Maria's mouth falls wide open whilst mom had the same reaction as me. "What the fuck!"

I laugh slightly as tears threaten to fall from my eyes. Both mom and Maria stand up from the couch and hug me. "I'm so proud of you, hon," Maria says. "Thank you," I say, my voice muffled by her shoulder.

Mom lifted my head up and cupped my cheeks. "I'm so proud of you too, sweetheart," She tells me, her eyes becoming glassy. "Thanks mama," I smile.

Natasha:
Later in the afternoon Maria and I sat down and looked for a place to stay for our wedding anniversary and we ended up booking an air bnb in Vermont for a couple of nights.

I was a bit worried about leaving Y/N alone but she seems to be doing a little better now than she was a couple of weeks ago.

The three of us decided to go out for dinner tonight to celebrate Y/N's rank. Even with her questioning whether or not she wants to go back, it's still something that she should be so incredibly proud of and I want her to know that.

I called Yelena as well to see if she wanted to come, so she ended up meeting us at the restaurant.

"Yelena, can you order me another gin and tonic?" Y/N whispers not so quietly to her. Obviously she's still technically underage, but I've never really cared about her drinking. As long as she's responsible it's never bothered me. She's old enough now to make her own decisions. However, she's had four drinks already tonight and it's obviously starting to have a bit of an effect on her.

Whilst I find it funny, I know she still has work tomorrow morning and she'll be mad at me if I let her wake up with a hangover.

"Sweetheart, you have work tomorrow," I remind her. "I know," She shrugs. "If you wake up with a headache you're not allowed to blame me for letting you get drunk," I tell her with a small laugh. "I won't," She says, rolling her eyes jokingly.

Yelena went over the the bar and came back with four more drinks. Maria and I had stopped after one knowing that one of us would probably have to drive Yelena's car for her.

It didn't take long for Y/N to get drunk. Yelena was tipsy at best but I swear to god, those two are so chaotic together. As we walked back to the car, Maria and I followed closely behind them laughing every time Y/N nearly fell over and Yelena had to catch her.

In some ways I'm thinking I can't believe my daughter got drunk in front of me, especially on a Monday night, but truthfully, I'm glad she feels comfortable and safe enough to get drunk around me.

"Who's driving who?" Maria questions. "I'll drive Yelena home in her car if you want to follow behind and then when I drop her off I'll get in the car with you?" I suggest to which Maria nods.

"Make sure Y/N sits in the front seat because she'll puke if she's in the back," I laugh.

It took about twenty minutes to get to Yelena's and another half an hour to finally get home.

I helped Y/N inside whilst Maria grabbed her things and mine. When we got to her bedroom, I helped her take off her shoes and got out a fresh pair of pyjamas so that she wouldn't have to sleep in jeans.

"You can get changed by yourself, I'm not doing that for you," I tell her. She pouts and crosses her arms.

I giggle and close the door behind me.

Maria came over to me a gave me a kiss. "I love you," She tells me with a small smile. "I love you," I say before kissing her again. Suddenly Y/N swings to door wipe open and frowns. "You guys are gross," She says. Before either of us can answer she speaks again. "Can you please tuck me into bed?" She looks between us.

"Yeah, come on," I smile, leading her back into her room, Maria following.

Y/N jumps into bed - literally - and pulls the covers over herself. I crouch down beside her and Maria sits at the end of the bed. "Goodnight sweetheart," I speak softly, placing a kiss on her forehead. "Night Night," She smiles.

Maria does the same, leaving a kiss on her forehead too.

"Goodnight mothersss," She smiles softly, closing her eyes and turning onto her side. 'Ria and I giggle slightly before turning off the lights and leaving her bedroom.

__________
A/N: hi :) I actually have no clue how to whole college grading system works so i literally made it up so you'll have to forgive me for that haha
anyways, I hope you all have a lovely day/night 🫶🏼