chapter thirty-seven

New Years Eve

Y/N:
I think that, right now, I'm the happiest I've ever been. I really enjoyed the first semester of college this year, I managed to find a really good balance between studying, working and rest.

I'm on a six week break at the moment and I've loved being back home. Christmas was really nice this year, all my family was in one place for the first time in ages and Kate came to spend it with us too. Her and her Mom aren't really on speaking terms at the moment and there was no way she was spending Christmas alone.

Kate and I have been taking things quite slow in terms of our relationship but primarily because of the long distance thing, but now that I'm back home for a bit most of our days are spent together and I'm a hundred percent sure that I've fallen in love with her. She just doesn't know it yet.

To celebrate the new year, Mom and Maria decided to throw a party, just a small one though. Obviously my grandparents and Yelena are coming, Maria invited a couple people from her work, some guy named Clint is coming with his wife, Laura who my Mom apparently has known for years but I'd never heard of until last week, and Amelia and Charlie are invited too but they never RSVP'd so who knows if they'll show up.

Before the party, Kate and I decided we wanted to go out for dinner together which consisted of going to our favourite burger place in a dress and heels, but the food was still incredible.

Afterwards we got ice cream and are now sitting on a bench overlooking the river. Despite the fact that there are a lot of people out, there's something so peaceful about sitting by the water.

"Kate, I can feel you staring," I admit, the corner of my mouth curling into a smirk. "I don't care, you're beautiful," she says. The smirk turns into a smile as I turn to look at her.

For a minute not a word is exchanged between us until I whisper her name.

"I think I'm in love you," I tell her. It wasn't really planned at all - my saying it - but truthfully I don't regret it.

She looks taken aback for a moment until she whispers, "I think I'm in love with you too."

I smile widely at her response before our lips meet in a passionate kiss. I could truly imagine myself spending the rest of my life with her.

Once we pull away from our kiss, Kate takes my hand and rests her head on my shoulder.

"If it's okay with you, I'm going to marry you one day, Y/N," She says quietly.

"Oh, you are?" I grin. "Mhm."

"When's this happening? I'm a pretty busy person, I'll have to fit it in to my calendar," I tease. "A couple of years. Wait until you've finished college and we'll talk more about it," she giggles. "Hey, you bought it up," I whine.

"So what else are we going to do once I've finished college?"

"Well, when you find your dream job and feel like you're in a comfortable place, we're going to buy a house—"
"—How are we going to afford a house in New York?"
"You're going to be really rich," she chuckles.

"Oh great. Go on," I giggle.

"When we buy our house, we can get a huge backyard for our kids to run around in. When we're ready to have them of course...that's if you want kids?" The last part of her sentence is spoken with a hint of hesitation.

"I want to have kids with you Kate," I admit.

Truthfully, having my own kids isn't something I've thought about all that much...until a few weeks ago. I know that I don't want kids for a long time but until I met Kate I didn't think I wanted kids at all. My future with her and the possibility of eventually starting a family makes me happier than anything else in the world.

•••

When we got back home, the party had already started and Yelena was already three vodka shots in. Should I of expected anything less though? No, probably not.

Mom and Maria introduced me to Clint, his wife Laura and their three kids. Mom, don't get me wrong loves his kids by the looks of things, but was clearly annoyed he couldn't find a babysitter.

The two youngest fell asleep on our couch before ten o'clock so I told Clint he could move them onto my bed and they could sleep in there until the party was over.

Kate was clearly annoyed at me for giving them my bed because she couldn't, and I quote, "feel me up".
Yes, she's a little bit tipsy...maybe drunk, and yes my Mom unfortunately did hear it because Kate has no social awareness when she's been drinking, and yes, I don't think I've ever been so embarrassed in my life.

At least it will be more embarrassing for Kate when I tell her what she said once she's sobered up.

Of course when midnight came, I kissed Kate. After everyone had left, I quickly put fresh sheets on my bed and helped Mom and Maria clean up a little bit whilst Kate got dressed into some pyjamas.

It was after three o'clock when I finally climbed into bed. "Y/N," Kate whines. "Yes Kate?" I smile. "Can we have sex now, please?" She pouts. "Absolutely not. You're shitfaced and it's three a.m.," I giggle.

"I am not shitfaced!" She groans. "Your shirts on backwards and you can't stop staring at my boobs," I point out.

"That's because I want to hold them," she looks up at me, making me laugh. "And what about the shirt?"

She looks back down at her shirt and furrows her eyebrow. "I did it on purpose. I like my shirts better this way."

"Sure you do," I giggle, "now go to sleep."

I quickly peck her lips and reach back to turn my lamp off. "Goodnight beautiful," I whisper. "Goodnight," she mumbles, slightly grumpy.

Not even a minute later I feel Kate trying to slip her hand up my shirt. "What do you think you're doing?" I giggle tiredly. "Holding your boobs," she mumbles. "Kate, go to sleep or I'll put you on the couch," I tell her, trying to withhold my laughter. "Fine," she groans, taking her hand out my shirt and turning her back to me.

"I love you," I say. "I love you too."

__________
A/N: hiii

I think after this book is finished I'm gonna take a break from writing. I'll still update my one-shots once or twice a week but I'm not going to start any more books for a little bit