chapter twenty-six

Y/N:
Despite the fact that Kate and I both just ate a donut, it wasn't enough so we decided to go to the same burger place we went to a few weeks ago.

"So let me get this straight, you go to a restaurant that primarily only makes burgers, and you order a Garden Salad? Who orders the Garden Salad? I mean like, burgers are so much better," I raise my eyebrows in amusement. "I came here yesterday," she shrugs "So I figured I'd try the salad for a change."

"We could have gone somewhere else if you'd told me you were here yesterday," I chuckle. "I know, but I could tell you really wanted to come here. Besides, it's kind of like our place now," she tells me before stuffing her mouth full of salad.

Our place. I don't know why that made me so giddy.

"How is it?" I ask with a nod once she's swallowed her food. "Honestly, it's dry. It's really dry," she laughs, wiping her mouth with the napkin.

"Do you want to share my burger?" I offer. "It's okay, it's your food," she laughs lightly. "I don't mind," I shrug "Honestly, I don't."
She only shrugs in response. I lean over the table and reach for her knife before cutting the burger in half. "Eat," I order, passing half the burger to her. "Thank you, Y/N," she genuinely smiles. "You're welcome," I smile back before taking a bite of my burger.

"You know, when we went out for dinner last week you told me you didn't share food?" She reminds me. "I don't, usually, but I can't exactly expect you to sit there and watch me eat a burger whilst your stuck with a dry salad, can I?" I chuckle. She smiles and rolls her eyes jokingly.

"So have you decided on whether or not you're going back to college?" She questions, taking a bite of the burger. "I think I will. I'd regret it if I didn't," I admit. Kate's bottom lip pouts. "What?"
"I don't want you to go back. You're like one of like...I don't know, maybe five people, I actually like spending time with," she tells me. I can't help the smile that curls on my lips. "Well, if it means anything, I like spending time with you too."

"Also, until I'm busy with exams again I'll probably be home every other weekend," I shrug. "You better be," she laughs.

~

Kate insisted on paying for lunch, especially considering she ate my food.

"Are you doing anything for the rest of your day?" She questions as we begin to walk home. We live fairly close to one another so for a while we'd be heading in the same direction.

"My parents have their anniversary tomorrow and they're going away tonight for a few days so I'll probably just hang with them until they leave," I shrug with a small chuckle. "What about you?"

"I don't know yet, I'll probably go home and binge Friends," she laughs.

There are a few moments of silence. It's still only the afternoon and Maria isn't going to be home for a couple of hours, and I know that I don't want to leave Kate yet.

"Do you want to go see a movie or something?" I blurt out faster than my brain can process what I'm saying. She turns her head and looks at me with a smile. "Yeah, sure. Okay."

~

Unfortunately, the movie was terrible. We left half way through and sat out on the bench in front of the movie theatre and finished our popcorn.

"I have a question," Kate declares. "Shoot," I say, stuffing my mouth full with popcorn. "It might sound a bit...I don't know, I just..."
"Kate it's fine," I assure her. "Okay...do you, do you still have feelings for your ex?"

That's not what I was expecting. At all. Her question causes me to start chocking on a popcorn seed. "Hold on," I tell her, taking the lid off my water bottle and taking a drink. "Are you okay?" She asks to which I nod in response.

"I'm all good," I tell her once I'd finally stopped choking. "You don't have to answer. I shouldn't have asked, sorry," she says. "No, it's fine. And uh, no I don't have feelings for her anymore," I speak honestly.

Kate nods with a slight smile. "Why do you ask?" I question curiously. "No reason," she shrugs.

~

When I got home I sat on the couch whilst Mom and Maria finished packing. We decided to order pizza for dinner before they had to leave, so they joined me on the couch whilst we ate.

"How was your day with Kate?" Mom questions. "It was good," I smile. I hate that every time I see Kate or her name is mentioned my cheeks heat up. "Hey I have a question," I decide. "Mhm?"

"Okay, so it's probably already obvious to the both of you, because you literally know me better than I know myself, so you definitely know who I'm talking about. Subtlety is not my strong suit and—"

"Y/N, get to the point," Mom giggles.

"Rude," I scoff. "But anyways, how soon is too soon before you're allowed to have feelings for someone else?" I ask, shuffling myself on the sofa so I am looking at them.

A smile forms on both their faces. Sometimes I wish I would just keep my mouth shut and I wouldn't have to put myself through this embarrassment.

"I don't think there's a black and white answer for that, sweetheart. You'll just know when you're ready to move on," she explains. "Okay, thank you, but that is terrible advice. Maria, thoughts?"

"Sorry hon, I'm with your mom on this one," she chuckles along with my mom. "But I don't know if I'm ready to move on," I whine childishly. "Then you're not ready, sweetheart and that's okay," Mom speaks softly.

I sigh, not feeling satisfied with my answer. I know that a part of me wants to tell Kate how I feel, but I don't think I'm just quite there yet.

______________
A/N: helloooo, how is everyone?
I hope you're doing well :)

also, whilst you're at it go read gayfortasha books. like seriously tho, you're missing out dude