chapter twenty-eight

Y/N:
Okay so, when most people say they know a place, they don't really know a place. But apparently Kate did. The drive felt like it went on forever, but oh my gosh it was worth it.

I don't really know where we are but I don't really care either because I trust Kate. I feel safe when I'm with her.

We're parked in a parking lot that was on top of a hill. The stars are clearer up here. It's so quiet.

"Could you help me fold down the back seats?" Kate asks as she gets out the car. "Mhm," I nod.

Once the seats were down, the boot door was wide open, the pillows and blankets were set up, I crawled up next to Kate as we opened the packet of chocolate chip cookies.

"So you really did know a spot," I chuckle, pulling one of the blankets over my body. "I've only ever been here a couple of times and it was on my own. I've never had anybody that I wanted to show it to before," she admits, looking at me with a small smile.

I smile, my cheeks burning hot red as I look down at my lap.

Kate takes a deep breath before laying her head down on the pillows. "You tired?" I giggle, my mouth full of a cookie. "Mhm," she mumbles, closing her eyes. I smile and lay down next to her, pulling the blanket over my body.

My head turns to her and my eyes begin to search every inch of her face. They linger on her lips for a few moments and all the doubts about not feeling ready to move on start to fade into nothingness. I really, really like her. I want to be with her. I want to kiss her.

I know some people probably think that it's too soon, and up until this moment I did too.

I just don't know if she wants to be with me. I don't even know if she feels the same way about me.

"I can feel you staring, Y/N," Kate speaks in a whisper, a tired smirk curling onto her lips. I clear my throat and turn my head back to look at the roof of the car. A small giggle escapes her lips.

She turns onto her side and opens her eyes.

My heart and my mind start fighting about whether or not I should just tell her how I feel.

I want to.

I will.

Before I give myself the chance to chicken out, I turn onto my side to face her. "I want to tell you something," I blurt out. The words coming out of my mouth faster than my brain can process.

"Me too," she says, "But you go first."

"Okay," I take a deep breath, "I think I like you."
I go to say more but nothing else comes out of my mouth.

See Y/N, this is what happens when you don't think before you speak.

"You think you like me?" She narrows her eyes at me, a small grin on her lips. "Yeah well, I'm like one hundred percent sure," I laugh nervously. "I'll take it," she smirks.

"I haven't been able to stop thinking about you, Kate. And I really want to go out with you but I understand if you don't feel the same way," I explain. A huge part of me wants to pull the blanket over my head to hide, but I don't.

"Y/N, I'm one hundred percent sure I like you too," she tells me as she reaches for my hand. "Really?" I smile hopefully. "Why do you sound so surprised?" She laughs.

"I message you like all the time. I picked you up in the middle of the night and drove you two hours to one of my favourite spots that I've pretty much refused I would show anyone. I mean I was sure I was going to keep this place a secret forever. I'm letting you eat my favourite cookies. Of course I like you, you idiot."

I take a deep breath before a moment of silence fills the air.

"These are really your favourite cookies? Sure they're good, but I've had way better," I laugh, letting go of her hand, sitting up and grabbing the packet. Kate slams her hand against her chest and dramatically gasps. "How dare you. I take my love for these cookies very personally," she shakes her head. "I'm sorry," I smile, taking a bite of one. "You know what, since you don't like them, you're not allowed anymore," she decides, snatching the packet from me.

"I never said I didn't like them!" I laugh, trying to take the packet back. She laughs every time I reach for it and moves it further away from me. "Give me the cookies," I groan with a chuckle.

I accidentally hit my head pretty hard on the roof trying to get them, which made Kate absolutely lose it. She was laying down and laughing so hard that she complained her stomach was hurting, but the cookies were above her head so I climb over her so that she couldn't move and used it as an opportunity to get them back. "I'm glad my pain amuses you," I tilt my head, looking down at her.

"I'm sorry, it was pretty funny though," she finally stops laughing and shrugs. "For you! I now have a headache," I quirk an eyebrow.

She smiles, so do I. Her's fades as I watch her eyes linger on my lips. "Y/N, please kiss me."

I paused for a moment. She really just asked me to kiss her. I wasn't imagining things.

I slowly lean down, one hand beside Kate's head, the other next to her shoulder. Just before I close the space between us, her hand gently rests on my cheek.

A moment of insecurity makes me hesitate, but when Kate whispers my name it disappears and I tilt my head slightly before gently kissing her lips.

Goosebumps run down my spine when she slowly starts to draw her fingers up the side of my waist before wrapping her hand behind my neck.

As it deepens, I pull back for air whilst Kate sits up before she smashes our lips together again. It feels like butterflies have erupted in my stomach.
One of her hands run over my collarbone, whilst the other is still wrapped behind my neck. I adjust myself so that my legs are wrapped around her waist, subconsciously pulling my body as close as I possibly can to hers.

As we slowly pull away from one another, Kate's hands drop to my waist and my arms wrap around her neck loosely.

We smile at each other, both our faces a shade of red. I let out a small giggle before resting my head in the crook of her neck and holding her tightly.

"You're so beautiful, Y/N," she says quietly, her arms wrapping around my waist as she kisses the top of my head. She definitely feels me smile against her skin. "Thank you, Kate," I mumble, "So are you."

She's definitely someone I want to fall in love with.

____________
A/N: only took like 28 chapters, but they finally kissed! what do you think??
also, I'll write more with mama nat soon, I just wanted to focus and y/n and Kate's relationship for a bit

I hope you have a great day or night, wherever you are in the world :)
Thank you to everyone who reads, votes an comments on this story, it really does mean a lot!!