Chapter 50: Aidan

Callie and I stayed another day or two in California, just to catch up and get back into our own groove. When we got off the plane from the flight back to Colorado and I turned my phone back on to check for any messages, I noticed I had a text from Lucy.

Aidan, call me when you get off the plane.

I frowned, getting a sudden bad feeling. I dialed her number and turned to Callie to explain. "Hey babe, I got a weird text from Luce, so I'm just calling her real qui- Oh, hey Lucy, what's going on? Is everything alright?"

A pause on her end made me wonder just how bad her news was. She cleared her throat. "Um... I need to you to come to the office. Like, as soon as you can. There's something here you need to see."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Seriously Aidan, just get your ass here pronto."

She hung up on me, and I pulled the phone away, staring at it.

"Aidan? What's happening?" I looked over at Callie's worried face.

"I have no fucking clue, but apparently we have to stop by my office. Is that okay with you?"

"Of course, you know I don't mind coming with."

"Damn right, because I'm taking you with me anyway." I laughed with Callie, but worry hung over us as we drove as fast as possible to my work.

I parked and we hurriedly got out of the car, making our way inside to the darkened building. I saw some lights on up on the top level, so we made our way up. I checked in my office first but didn't see Lucy so Callie followed me as I walked down the hallway to Lucy's office. I called out to her as I got closer, seeing a shadow move in the light coming from her open door.

"Lucy, what is going on? What could possibly so important that- what the hell?!" I'd stepped inside her office to find Lucy backed up against the side of a filing cabinet, caged in by some guy I couldn't see clearly but didn't immediately recognize. He straightened suddenly at my words and I noticed that we were about the same height and build. I'd kick his ass if I had to, but it would be a pretty even fight, I guessed. Still, no one fucking cornered my best friend in her office.

"What the fuck is your problem man? And who the fuck are you?" I demanded loudly and watched as Lucy peeked around his shoulder, giving me a weird look I couldn't decipher. The man slowly turned around and as he faced me, my jaw dropped at the same time Callie gasped loudly, dropping her purse. I stared at the man, taking in his face. A face I saw every day because it was my own. He smiled, hard but amused, and two dimples just like mine popped out before he spoke.

"Hey, brother."