Chapter 8: Callie

I woke up feeling much better than the last few times I'd managed to open my eyes. I'd been in and out for several hours, and this was the first time waking up that I didn't feel completely groggy. That, and now I only had a slight headache and a dull pain in my hand. I was sure the morphine had something to do with that, but I'd take what I could get. I stretched carefully, not wanting to dislodge the needle in my arm or any of the other wires attached to me. Glancing around I noticed Aidan dozing in a chair next to my bed.

I was grateful for the chance to study him without him staring back. He reminded me of Robb Stark from Game of Thrones with longer hair. And taller. And bigger muscles. I sighed inwardly as he shifted and the muscles in his legs bunched, the definition noticeable in his fitted jeans. I realized he must've gone home and showered at some point, since he was wearing different clothes than before. When he let out a small snore I couldn't stop the giggle that escaped. The noise brought him back to the land of the living, and I couldn't help but grin as he jerked awake and looked around wildly before meeting my eyes and settling down.

"Hey there Sleeping Beauty," I joked. He responded with a sarcastic "ha-ha" face, but still smiled. "Did you know you snore?"

He looked at me haughtily. "No, I do not."

"Oh yes you do. You woke me up it was so loud! You could probably wake the dead with your snoring, Princess."

"Impossible," he sniffed, "Princesses do not snore."

I burst out laughing, but winced as the laughter aggravated the pain in my head from too much pressure. He quickly got out of his chair and hovered over me, obviously looking for a way to help. Eventually he settled on brushing some stray hair out of my face. My breath caught at his soft touch, and my heart beat hard when he stopped his fingers on my cheek, seemingly mesmerized. I shook my head to get out of whatever trance I was in and he stepped back suddenly as well.

"Are you okay?" His voice was gruff and he cleared his throat before continuing. "I didn't mean to make your pain worse."

"No, it's alright. I actually don't feel too bad, just a small headache. The laughing didn't help, but it was worth it."

He smiled softly. "Laughter is the best medicine, eh?"

"Whoever said that can jump in a pit and die."

This time he was the one laughing loudly. I watched in fascination as his throat moved when he threw his head back. I was grinning at him when he met my eyes again, laughter still swirling in his blue eyes.

He sat back down in his chair, now visibly relaxed. I suddenly got nervous being alone with him and my eyes flitted around to different things in the room, not really taking anything in. I finally settled my eyes on the stupid loose thread on my hospital gown, fidgeting with it again.

"What happens now? Am I free to go?"

"Almost. They wanted to check you over one last time when you woke up before releasing you. They said it wouldn't be unusual to have some lingering pain but that it should go away over the next few days."

"That's it?" I met his eyes and saw a look in them that made me wary. "There's something you're not telling me."

He ran his hands through his already messy hair, and it annoyed me when it fell back into place perfectly. Then I realized that he looked nervous. "Ah, well... They're not sure how long your amnesia will continue. And they want you to be monitored pretty constantly for the next couple weeks in case any of the effects of your concussion worsen for some reason."

"Okay... so I just have to stay with someone for the next two weeks? That's inconvenient, but doable. I don't see what the problem is."

"I was... Well, I'm hoping you'll come with me on a business trip I've got. I was going to ask you anyway, but I know that you don't remember a whole lot of our relationship right now."

"A whole lot? I don't remember anything. Nothing. I don't know how we met, or what made me think dating you was a good idea." I folded my arms and looked at him stubbornly.

He gave me a half smile, a dimple popping out and softening my annoyance. "You don't think my good looks are enough?"

I sputtered, racking my brain for a response. "I... you... Look, your looks are fine, but dating is more to me than beautiful eyes and bulging muscles."

"Bulging muscles huh?" He flexed his arms and pecs, and my mouth watered, eyes taking in the display. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on those... I jerked my gaze back to his, and frowned at the satisfied gleam in his eyes. He scooted his chair closer to my bed so he could talk in a low voice. "Maybe you shouldn't come away with me. I saw that look in your eyes. You'll probably take advantage of me at the earliest opportunity. I just don't know if my delicate sensibilities can handle it."

I laughed nervously while his face moved closer to mine, and I could hear my heart rate monitor speed up slightly. My breath was coming out faster, and tingles ran through my whole body as he leaned down to my ear.

"You wouldn't take advantage of me, would you? You're a good girl." His whispered words made my nipples hard, and wetness flooded my panties as he quickly nipped my earlobe. I gasped softly, trying to hold back a moan as my eyes closed.

His chuckle in my ear a second later made my eyes fly open and I weakly pushed him back. I knew I couldn't actually move him if he didn't want move, but he let me put him at a safer distance anyway.

His eyes glanced quickly to the heart monitor, still beeping faster than normal. I took a few deep, calming breaths and waited for my heart rate to get back to normal before I responded. What he didn't know about me- or maybe he did, I honestly had no idea right now- was that I had a stubborn, competitive streak in me. His teasing had felt like a gauntlet being thrown at my feet. It sounded like a challenge- no, a dare. And I never backed down from those.

"Yes," I said simply.

He looked taken aback. "What do you mean, 'yes'?"

"I mean yes, I'll go with you on this business trip of yours. I could use a break from normality, and I suppose that spending some time with you could help jog my memory about... us." I could see that I'd surprised him and I gave myself a victory point.

"Okay then. Let me grab a doctor and see if we can get you checked out of here." He walked away before I could say anything else and I shook my head. He acted like he was afraid to be around me but I felt like I was the one who should be careful. My body's responses to him were nothing I'd ever experienced, and although I was usually able to keep a cool head on my shoulders, I had the feeling that this guy could turn me upside down.

Aidan came back in with my doctor who I only half-listened to tell me about after care and what prescriptions for pain he was going to give me. An hour and a half later we were leaving the hospital and Aidan was helping me get into his car to take me back to my place. Staring out at the fading sunset, I realized I had just dumped into a whole vat of trouble agreeing to go away with someone who was a virtual stranger to me. Especially with one who obviously had a strong effect on me.

You're in some seriously deep shit, Calliope Drakos.