Chapter 47: Aidan

I was shouting Aphrodite's name, trying to get her attention and hoping that whatever had connected us while trying to break Callie's vow held enough to get her attention one last time. I was at the end of my rope and in the middle of an epic rant when my living room was suddenly occupied by two more people.

"What do you want?" Aphrodite's face was neutral, not giving anything away as to her thoughts on my demand to see her. Aphrodite and the man materializing in front of me so quickly had startled me, despite her presence being exactly what I'd wanted.

"Now, now, Mother. No need to be rude." The unknown male spoke, placing his hand on Aphrodite's back. He was wearing a wide grin, and I was so amazed to see that my shouting had worked that it took my brain a few seconds to register what he'd said.

"Mother? She's your mom? That would mean you're Cupid. Uh, I mean Eros."

"Eros is the technical term, and I prefer that over Cupid. Mostly because I'm not some air-headed cherub shooting people randomly with arrows." His dry humor caught me off guard, but I chuckled anyway. I was sure I should've been surprised, but at this point I didn't think anything could shock me.

"Yes, okay, enough with the pleasantries. I asked you what you wanted Aidan, so either tell me now or we can leave."

"NO! Please, just... I need your help. I can't find Callie, and I need to make her listen to me."

"How do you not know where she is by now? It's not like it's hard to figure out, just-"

"Mother." Eros stopped Aphrodite's words, and I nearly shouted at the interruption. He turned back to me. "Tell me Aidan, if given the choice, would you go back and refuse to comply with my mother's demands, knowing the current outcome?"

I paused to think about it, but only for a moment. "No," I said shaking my head, "I wouldn't. I love Callie and even though I wish I could've prepared her better for the truth of our relationship, I wouldn't change it. I need her by my side, but more than that, right now I just need her to be happy."

Aphrodite and Eros looked at each other, communicating silently. They nodded at the same time, and Aphrodite blew me a kiss before disappearing.

Panic gripped me. "Wait, isn't she going to help me?"

"No. But I am."

I nearly collapsed in relief, but I locked my knees to keep me upright. "How do I find her?"

"Honestly, when you figure it out you're going to kick yourself for not realizing sooner. If she's not in Colorado, how many more places does she have to go?"

"I don't know. I know she's always wanted to travel so she could be anywhere. But it's not like she'd ever left Colorado before I took her to California, so-"

I cut myself off abruptly, staring at Eros' satisfied expression. "You figure it out yet?"

"Fuck, you're right. I do want to kick myself." Relief rushed through me and came out on a choked sound. I knew exactly where she was.

Eros laughed and came over to clap me on the back. "Go get her back, Aidan. I've been watching over her, and she needs you just as much as you need her. Don't let her go."

"Thank you. I don't plan on it."

He disappeared at my reassurance, and I ran over to my laptop to book the next flight out to California.

"I'm coming for you, baby. Just hold on a few more hours," I whispered out loud as I clicked the confirmation for a flight leaving tomorrow, early Friday morning. I'd be in the same room as Callie in less than a day; and when I had her back, she was never going to want to leave.