Chapter 46b

Ithaca, New York

July 2006

"Anna," he called as he ran after her. "Anastasia." He took her hands in his when he rejoined her. "I came here for you."

When she saw the way he looked at her, she realized how close she was to consenting. But somehow, he was testing her, waiting for her to say or do the right thing. She wondered what he was thinking. Perhaps he wanted her to show him, to prove something. Their standstill irritated her and made her antsy.

She shifted and let the basket slide down to the bend of her elbow. "I don't belong there."

"You don't belong here," he said. "Not anymore."

Since her return, she had at times questioned if it was true. She hated her secrets, the lies she had to tell her family. She was tired of being angry, of resenting Casey and loving her desperately at the same time.

"We don't have to forget each other, Anna."

"Maybe I want to forget you." She regretted the words as soon as the surprise, the shock of hurt, entered his eyes. "I mean, maybe it's best to just leave all...all that behind."

"I've been very patient with you," he said. "Your priorities are askew, but you're young and you've much to learn. I understand this."

Anna's annoyance returned. Her head shot up, and she glared at him, daring him to continue.

"The sooner you accept you can't be part of the Aging world, the better. I know that's difficult to hear, but—"

"But what?" She edged closer to him, her sandals crunching in the gravel. "What? You have no idea what it's like to be part of a family."

"You're wrong. I know very well—"

"No." She shook her head. "It's not the same."

"Ricardo is my family. Victoria and Garrison are my family. George is my family. They sent me here to bring you back."

"Right." She crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm sure it's more about you and your need for my blood than what they want."

"Enough of that," he spat angrily. "You should've come to me directly if that is your concern."

"Fuck you!" She whirled on her heels and jogged away from him, toward home.

He caught her and pulled her to him. "Anna," he said, out of breath, "It's not true."

"I know exactly what you want from me—"

"No! Listen to me!" The volume of his voice scattered a pair of doves picking at pebbles. He clasped her hands in his. "Your sister's position has been eliminated. After she betrayed us, the number one priority of our researchers was to create a transfusion created of my own blood, not a donor's."

"Wh—what does that mean?"

"It means I no longer require transfusions from a donor."

"How?"

"In the past, our scientists could isolate the virus in a sample of blood. They've since found a way to preserve this ability and replicate it so the blood I receive is now my own."

"I don't understand."

"I don't need your blood anymore." Anymore.

"What do you need me for then? What do you want from me?"

He didn't speak at first. A car approached. The driver honked the horn at them. Anna looked up at the familiar red SUV and her cousin's wife Trina driving. Trina waved at her. Anna didn't wave back.