Chapter 4

New York City, New York
February 19, 2043

He arrived at the diner in a foul mood and ten minutes earlier than Parker. When his friend and doctor finally strolled in, he slid into the booth with a grin.

"So what's going on?" As if their earlier phone conversation never occurred.

"You're late."

"Yeah, sorry," Parker propped a menu up in front of his face. "I had to drop off Ruby. She says hi, by the way."

"Hi back."

Parker glanced at him over the laminated purple menu marked Specials. "How come you're not working? They switch your shifts around again? Thought you were a day guy."

"I had the day off." Beau hid his face behind one of the menus.

The waitress came by with her little pad of notepaper and pen. "Have you boys decided yet?" A snapping wad of gum was like cud between her molars.

Parker ordered a baked potato and a hamburger. "You should try it," he said to Beau. "None of that lab grown meat served here."

Beau frowned. "I don't think I want my money paying for the real stuff." The waitress popped her gum, punctuating his sentence.

"Just the potato, then."

Beau ordered chocolate cake and coffee. Parker raised an eyebrow at him.

As soon as the waitress was out of earshot, Parker leaned forward. "There's something we need to talk about," he said.

"What's that?"

"Actually, there's a list of things we need to discuss."

"Shit." Beau shifted in his seat and eyed the door.

"Yeah, shit," Parker said. "You haven't been taking good care of yourself." He put his hands up in the air, surrendering. "I don't want to lecture you—"

"So don't." Beau glared at him.

"Your blood work is showing low levels of the medication. Don't tell me you've been taking them regularly. I prescribed those doses for a reason."

"Okay, so I missed one dose."

Parker held up two fingers. "Two doses."

Beau nodded and bowed his head in admission.

Parker slumped back against the booth. He looked at Beau, his forehead crinkling with concern. In a calmer voice, he finally said, "Why didn't you tell me about Carmencita?"

Beau sighed. "We broke up."

"I know. I ran into her and made a total ass of myself. Why didn't you tell me?"

"What happened?"

Parker's expression twisted into bitterness. "We're supposed to be friends, but ever since..."

Beau said nothing. His friend was right. Everything changed since his diagnosis. His only consolation was that his parents weren't around to see it all unfold. "I didn't feel like advertising it." He couldn't talk about it. Even now, seven months later, he avoided all the reminders of her. Pictures were hidden in drawers. Momentos, gifts--he couldn't bring himself to throw them away.

"You didn't tell her you were sick, did you?"

"I didn't feel like advertising that, either."

Parker nodded. "She had no idea of the severity of your disease."

"Whatever happened to doctor-patient confidentiality?" Beau's voice rose. "What'd you tell her?"

"Relax. I didn't tell her anything. It turns out I wasn't the only person who didn't know you were adopted."