Chapter 31

Santa Monica, California

April 2006

Just as Vida predicted, the IDF "guests" moved into the hospital room of the Santa Monica household. For Anna, the addition of the newcomers shifted the mood of the house pleasantly. Ricardo still regarded her as if she fouled his breathing air, but Toby diffused the tension with jokes that riled up Vida and even made Anna laugh. The morning meal became her favorite part of the day.

George frowned at the ease of conversation that flowed over the table between Anna and Toby. In the confines of his cubby office, he grumpily snapped orders at her until she stopped smiling and became subdued again.

"Did you forget your duty?" He peered at her over the top of the computer monitor as she worked on the reports he assigned her.

She narrowed her eyes at him. If he thought for a second she was somehow obligated to give Sabian her blood...

"The restoration specialist called days ago. The violin is ready."

She hopped up and clapped her hands together. "Let's go!"

George made a snide grin. "After this work is done."

She took over typing duties so they could finish faster, but it didn't matter because George rattled off a long list of things to be done and kept her busy through the rest of the day.

Before the morning meal was served the next day, he woke her early so they could pick up the violin from the restorer. George rushed the transaction, pointing to his watch and sighing with exaggerated boredom as Anna and the specialist discussed the violin's newly restored condition and possible origins. The specialist apologized that he was unable to confirm its authenticity without more testing. She assured him it didn't matter.

Not even George's complaining and lecturing wiped the smile from Anna's face. He had barely stopped the car in the driveway when Anna unbuckled her seatbelt and took off into the house with the violin held in its case against her chest. She left doors open and called to Elliott, "Log me in, will you please?"

Like a mouse with a stolen wheel of cheese, she slipped into an unoccupied bathroom on the first floor. The bedrooms in this part of the house were empty since everyone was in the security room working. The last thing she wanted was for someone to hear and interrupt her. She knew she should be helping George, but he could wait just a few minutes while she played.

Anna latched the bathroom door behind her and pulled back the shower curtain to expose the ledge of the tub. Better to sit on it than the toilet. She set the case onto the counter and extracted the violin. Slowly, she steadied herself onto the ledge, the violin and bow in her hands. She always felt more comfortable playing in a seated position, reminiscent of her happy days playing in orchestras.

Her fingers quivered in anticipation as she swept the bow over the strings. The tiled surface echoed her tentative notes. She built her pace until the music flowed like water from a spigot she twisted desperately. She wasn't sure how long she'd been playing when a knock sounded at the door. Whoever it was could wait until she finished the piece.

The door opened regardless and Sabian stood in the doorframe. He watched her play without comment. She ignored him even though his stare and its void of expression unnerved her. After a few minutes, he left, but then returned with a wooden chair snagged from someone's desk.

He set the chair in between the sink and tub and gestured for her to sit in it. She glanced up at him but remained on the ledge of the tub as she continued to play. He closed the door and sat in the chair himself.