𝟎𝟎𝟖. nightmarish encounter

𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑶𝑵𝑬 ━ 𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑬𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻

𝐈𝐑𝐈𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐁𝐄 sailing in a ship with Percy, Annabeth and Tyson, but what could she do about it? Nothing, she could do absolutely nothing about it

𝐈𝐑𝐈𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐁𝐄 sailing in a ship with Percy, Annabeth and Tyson, but what could she do about it? Nothing, she could do absolutely nothing about it. She'd been on a cruise ship before, it had been one of the many vacations her and her father went on. The ladder that they had climbed upon led to a maintenance deck stacked with yellow lifeboats. There was a set of locked double doors, which Iris managed to pry open with her knife and a fair amount of cursing in Ancient Greek.

Percy figured they'd have to sneak around, being stowaways and all, but after checking a few corridors and peering over a balcony into a huge central promenade lined with closed shops, he began to realize there was nobody to hide from.

Was it the middle of the night, sure but they walked half the length of the boat and met no one. They passed forty or fifty cabin doors and heard no sound behind any of them."It's a ghost ship," Percy murmured.

"No," Tyson said, fiddling with the strap of his duffel bag. "Bad smell."

Annabeth frowned as Iris nodded in agreement to what Annabeth added but said nothing. "I don't smell anything."

"Cyclopes are like satyrs," Percy said. "They can smell monsters. Isn't that right, Tyson?" He nodded nervously. Now that they were away from Camp Half-Blood, the Mist had distorted his face again. Unless you'd be concentrated very hard, it seemed that he had two eyes instead of one.

"Okay," Annabeth said. "So what exactly do you smell?"

"Something bad," Tyson answered.

"Great," Annabeth grumbled. "That clears it up."

They came outside on the swimming pool level, there were rows of empty deck chairs and a bar closed off with a chain curtain. The water in the pool glowed eerily, sloshing back and forth from the motion of the ship. Above them fore and aft were more levels—a climbing wall, a putt-putt golf course, a revolving restaurant, but no sign of life. "We need a hiding place," Percy said. "Somewhere safe to sleep."