Chapter 11. Pain of the past.

A/N
Does anyone else think that Jim looks really hot in the picture above?
-Saphi
Merida's POV
Jack lead us through the forest for what felt like days. We came to a main road that was situated just on the outskirts of this never ending forest.
The road was unruly with cars scattered around, some had crashes together and caused a fire leaving their rusty skeletons, others were just left, their doors wide open.
All of us stood side by side staring down the long winding road.
"Look." Hiccup said pointing to a sign that laid on the floor, the metal slightly crumpled.
"Now entering Burgess..." Jack mumbled.
"Well at least we weren't taken to far." I said, trying to sound optimistic.
Jack knelt down on the road and placed his backpack on the floor. He unzipped it and carefully retrieved a map from inside.
"This, is where we set up camp." He pointed a pale finger to the red dot on the paper. "We are here so we should be able to make it to camp by sun down. Tomorrow all of us will set off again and find some people who can help us."
"Elsa and Anna?" I mumbled curiously. Jack nodded, still staring at the sheet.
"They said if we ever needed anything to just ask." Jack said as he folded up the map again. "I'm taking their word for it." He slung his back pack back over his shoulder and began to walk again.
~~~
As Jack said, by nightfall we reached our camp. Nothing had changed apart from all of our missing weapons.
"I'll go collect some firewood." Jim said after he helped Ariel into their tent. After he left I joined Ariel in her tent.
"Hey." I smiled. Ariel glanced up slightly startled.
"Merida?" She said almost in disbelief. "Well this is a rare occurrence." Ariel exclaimed.
"Well.." I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly. "I don't really like to think about what goes on in here." I chuckled nervously. Ariel laughed lightly at my awkward comment. "Anyway, I came to change the dressing on your foot." I knelt beside Ariel's injured foot. Delicately, I began to unravel the bandage, as the layers got smaller more blood was visible on the bandage.
"I won't be able to walk again will I?" Ariel sighed. I smiled at her sadly as I dabbed around the slightly infected open parts of the wound.
"Only time will tell." I said.
"I remember it like it was yesterday." Ariel mumbled.
"So do I..."
~Flashback three months previous~
Ariel and Jim settled by a freshwater stream, the afternoon sun glared down on their bare backs.
"Even though we are living in an apocalyptic world, Ariel I'm glad of it." Jim said as he pulled her into his side.
"Why's that?" She asked curiously.
"I'd probably never had met you." Jim kissed Ariel's forehead lightly. She chuckled to herself at his romantic comment. Suddenly, Ariel jumped up from her sitting position and kicked of her shoes.
"Fancy a paddle?" She suggested as she wadded into the cold and crisp water. Jim follow suit and kicked of his boots. He jumped into the water causing a large splash.
For a while they played in the water, splashing each other and becoming totally drenched. Soon they collapsed on the river bed in a heap of giggles.
"That's the most fun I've had ever since this dammed apocalypse started!" Jim said with a spark in his eye.
"I can agree with that." Ariel beamed. They sat in silence again admiring the beautiful summers day when suddenly their peace was interrupted; the snap of a branch echoed in the trees behind them.
"What was that?!" Ariel said in a hushed tone. He head wiped around to examine the trees.
"I dunno Ari..." Jim mumbled cautiously. Out of the dark depths of the woods, slowly a decaying herd of infected appeared.
"Holy shit..." Jim gasped. The two backed away but were quickly running out of places to back into.
"We'll have to go down the river, it's our only way of escape!" Ariel said frantically. The infected were getting closer. Ariel and Jim stepped into the cool water again, trying not to make a noise.
"They're speeding up. Jim I think they've heard us!" Ariel panicked.
"Run!" Jim yelled. In an instant the couple were lashing through the water attempting to escape with the rapidly approaching walkers at their heels.
"Oww!" Ariel screamed; She fell into the water. Jim glanced back to look for his girlfriend. Ari resurfaced and tried to stand.
"J-Jim, my foot...I can't walk." she sobbed. Heroically, Jim wadded through the water back to her and picked her up bridal style. They made their way quickly down the river barely escaping the infected.
~~~
"Hold still!" Jack grumbled as he attempted to remove the glass from Ariel's foot. Thick shards of glass had dug into her foot, tearing away at the muscle.
"We're limited on bandages." Merida said as she handed the White haired boy a roll.
"This will have to do for now. When we get to Burgess we'll be able to find more."
~End of flashback~
Ariel sighed sadly, I knew she was thinking about the day it happened.
" I put Jim's life in danger, and I still do everyday..without him i'd be dead."
"Jim loves you Ari, he would do anything for you. You're so lucky to have someone like that." I mumbled. I had to admit, I was slightly jealous of their perfect relationship.
"Thanks Mer." Ariel smiled as she laid a hand on my shoulder sympathetically.
"All done." I announced.
I stood up abruptly and left the tent. I was shaking. I felt like a whole new level of jealously had overwhelmed me.
"No Mer, this is not like you." I rubbed my arms viciously in attempts to calm the goosebumps that were prickling over my skin.
"Are you okay Merida?" Hiccup said from behind me. I stopped in my tracks.
"Yes.." I said, slowly turning on my heel. I faced Hiccup, his face laced with concern. I could feel a heat rising in my cheeks. Oh no Mer...not him....
~A/N~
Hello awesome readers!
I've had a sudden burst of inspiration, as much as I want to write a Romeo and Juliet style Mericup and Jackunzel story, I can't right now as it has take me ages to even attempt to write the first chapter. So I have a new idea, I am going to write Mericup story based in the time of Merida's film, and that is all I will say right now 😋
If you are interested the first chapter should be up tonight (bare in mind I'm in England) or tomorrow 😄
Thanks Diamonds 💎
~Saphi