Chapter 46

Storms and tempest

Storm was at the head of the procession that flew south. He watched behind him as the Cavewings followed the icewing warriors, keeping track of every passing hill and snow drift. He would be alert. A good general was always alert, ready for any danger that he might face. A good general was strong at the head of battle, leading his soldiers with his own wings.

Storm knew how Generals worked, but he had a hard time understanding how he was supposed to lead a bunch of passive cave dwellers to war. Most of them barely even knew how to argue, let alone attack.

He knew, in theory, that they wouldn't be fighting, there was no way a group such as them could even lift a spear correctly. But Storm was still pretty disappointed that he didn't get to lead a victorious charge into the night kingdom.

After receiving a message from their allies, Aurora was very sure that the Kiaen would make good spies, they weren't as sparkly as the icewings so they could sneak places that Storm couldn't. And with that size, it would be effortless to hide if the need arose.

So, even though Storm would have preferred to lead battle, he could still lead these soon-to-be spies, at least until Aurora saw his worth and promoted him to a real general. There were plenty of ways to keep the Cavewings alive.

So he took them south, following the icewing armies past the cliff that legend stated, used to destroy any who weren't Icewings. It had been disabled during the genocide, by a NightWing animus.

They passed the ice cliff, heading due south until they spotted the base that their allies had mentioned. Storm wasn't sure what he had expected, but the outpost could hardly be described as a base. It was barely large enough for probably ten dragons to live comfortably, let alone several hundred. Thankfully, Aurora had advised everyone to bring tents and such.

Storm landed amid a cluster of tired CaveWings, they flopped around him, stretching their wings with pained looks. They were made more for gliding than long flights across nowhere, and Storm hadn't let them stop since the soldiers had caught up with them. Thankfully for the CaveWings, it wasn't easy to make armies move fast, so often they would land for a few minutes to rest before coming back into the sky with renewed vigor.

The base seemed even smaller up close, and a sand-colored dragon covered with jewelry was greeting the queen with all the elegance and poise of royalty. She had three other SandWings beside her, watching the IceWings and CaveWings land with awe. This dragon in charge though didn't look like anything special, possibly more interesting than the other three SandWings, but SandWings, in general, seemed to be a fairly dull lot.

Powder, the Queen's eldest son, was the only one to remark upon it, though only when the SandWing queen started fishing for compliments. "My tribe says I'm the most beautiful dragon in Pyrrhia, you must also be on that list, Queen of the IceWings." Blaze said, and the three Sand dragons beside her agreed without hesitation, though they didn't seem to be paying much attention to Blaze.

Powder wrinkled his snout and held his head high, "clearly my mother is far more beautiful than a sand mongrel."

Blaze blinked at him slowly, and Storm got the impression that the insult hadn't quite hit home. "Pardon me?"

Powder shook his head, "our definitions of beauty must be very different because if I had a list, you wouldn't be on it."

Blaze gaped at him and glanced at Aurora, as if expecting her to take Blaze's side. Aurora shot Powder a look and focused back on Blaze, "I apologize for him, he is the best at everything except foreign negotiations, it seems."

Blaze nodded, as if that solved that, and strode away giving Powder a dirty glance as she retreated back to her base. 

--------------------------

Blaze gets stupider with every vote!

--------------------------

You may be wondering why I posted two chapters today.

That's because I finally finished writing! So it will cause me far less anxiety for Wattpad to catch up to where I'm at. 

From now on I will post two chapters a day instead of one, so I should be done posting in roughly ten days! ^-^