Chapter 24

May

Ace

After the show Selene's been distant the whole time and silent during the trip back to the hotel.

I tried to tease her but she was feeling too tired to do something.

We're now sleeping in separate rooms because Michael has no idea about us yet. I keep telling myself that I have to talk to him, tell him the truth about everything, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

I lay down on the bed, just a thin sheet on me and my eyes open. I don't think I'll sleep a blink tonight.

My mind is full of thoughts and unresolved things with my biological father. How am I supposed to tell Michael? Like, hey, did you know we're half brothers? No. And how is he going to react when we tell him that we've been together for all this months, Sel and I. Either he's gonna hate me, or be indifferent towards me.

Suddenly, my phone pings. Selene. I see the time. It's almost sunrise.

Sel: Ace, I feel sick. Come here.

Shit. That's why she's been silent the whole time.

I jump off the bed and pull on drawstring pants and get slippers on. I run to her room and knock.

"Sel, love, it's Ace. Open the door," I whisper, hoping she hears me.

Slowly, I hear footsteps approaching. She opens the door and looks like shit. "Hey," she breathes out, holding her hands on her stomach.

I take her face in my hands and move her hair away from her sweaty skin. "What's wrong?"

She shakes her head and a tear slides across her cheek. "I don't know...my head and stomach hurt, I feel like I might vomit..." She looks at me with eyes full of tears. "I don't want to throw up, I hate throwing up," she sobs.

"Hey," I draw her to my chest and she holds tight onto me. "You're gonna be okay, maybe it's just a virus."

She pushes me away and doubles over, whimpering. "What's wrong? It's like period cramps but more painful." She told me she usually has some cramps on her period but it's just a slight pain that goes away when she changes position.

"Do you want me to go to the drug store, see if I can find something?" I ask her.

She nods. "I'll call Ari to stay with me while you're gone." She swallows hard, probably bile. "Please hurry. If they ask what I feel, it's abdominal cramps, headache and nausea. And my head's spinning."

"Okay, I'll call Ari on my way out. Stay safe and call me if anything happens."

I close the door and sprint to Ari's room. I knock hard, this is an emergency.

She opens the door, her hair all messy and her eyes puffy with sleep. "Ace? What—"

"Sel is feeling sick, I'm going to get her some meds, can you stay with her please?" I say in one breath.

Her eyes widen. "What do you mean she's sick?"

"Just go to her room, Ari!"