Chapter 9

Ace

"What's her name again, darling?" Mom asks me while she is setting the last things on the table.

I run my hands through my hair as I look in the mirror. "Selene, Mom. Her sister owns AriasCasino in Vegas and you know who her boyfriend is?"

"Her sister's boyfriend?"

"He's Michael DeAngelis, the son of that DeAngelis..."

She looks up at me with her blue eyes. "What?" She stays silent for a moment. "You know you and him-"

"I know, Mom, you don't need to tell me this anymore," I tell her, looking at myself in the mirror one last time. Why am I putting so much effort in looking good?

"Ace!" Dad calls from the kitchen. "Has she called you yet? It's almost ready here."

I take my phone out of my black slacks and check it. "No, she hasn't." It starts ringing. "It's her, Dad."

I answer and her voice fills my ear. "Hey, I'm here. It's the only villa, right?"

"Yes. Wait, I'm coming to get you," I tell her.

"She's here, Thomas! I'm so excited to meet her," Mom says as she fixes her hair.

I hurry to reach the front door. I open it and there she is, an awkward smile on her glossy lips. "You made it on time," I tease.

Selene lift an eyebrow and pouts. "I didn't want to make your dad wait and dinner to get cold."

The corner of my lips rise just slightly. "After you." I let her come inside before me and she looks around herself. I instinctively put my hand on the small of her back to lead her, but she flinches at the slight touch.

"It's a beautiful house," she mumbles.

She's wearing a simple white dress and super high stiletto heels, and she's still a lot more shorter than me. She's braided her dark blonde hair in a loose low braid.

"You look good," I say softly.

She turns her head, her eyes shimmer. "You cleaned up nicely too, Ace."

We enter the dining room and Mom is there, waiting for us with a huge grin on her face. "Hi! You must be Selene, right?"

Selene looks taken aback. "Hi, yes-"

Mom holds out her hand. "Amanda, Ace's mother, nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," she smiles and dimples pop out of her cheeks.

"Aw, you're so cute." Mom leads us to the table. "Tom, we're ready!"

"Dinner is ready too!" Dad shouts from the kitchen.

"I find it beautiful that you're a family and eat dinner all together like this," Selene whispers to me.

"It doesn't happen really often, we're all very busy usually." I look at her and her eyes are glassy and she's shaking her leg. I put my hand on it to stop her. "Hey, what's wrong?"