Chapter 10

Selene

I text my sister that Ace is driving me home, so Michael doesn't have to worry and they can keep to fuck like bunnies. They're at it a lot more lately, I wonder if they're trying to have a baby, but after what happened to Ari all those years ago it going to be difficult.

Ari: You know he kind of looks like Michael?

I frown as I read the text.

Me: Who?

Ari: Ace.

I curl up my nose and frown even more. I take a quick look at his profile.

Me: No, he doesn't. Have you seen his eyes? They're blue!

Ari: It doesn't matter. I have green eyes and you have brown eyes, but we're still sisters.

Me: Wait a sec.

Me: Do you think they're related?

Ari: Maybe.

Me: Okay, a close kinship?

Ari: I don't know, I was just thinking.

Me: Wait, let me ask.

Ari: NO!!! Don't ask him anything!

I turn off the phone and she keeps sending me messages that I keep ignoring.

I notice Ace stealing a glance at me. "You got a boyfriend back in Vegas? Is that him who you're so busy texting with?"

That has me grinning. "You're so busy thinking about who I'm so busy texting with that you're going the wrong way."

"I'm not going the wrong way, I just wanted to make the trip a little bit longer," he says.

I chuckle. "Why, do you want to murder me?" I joke.

"You're always late, so maybe I do." I can see the corner of his lips slightly upturned and the dimples.

It started to snow and I feel a little bit cold. A shiver runs through my body, so I clench my legs and cross my arms on my chest.

Ace's big, veiny hand moves towards the console, and for a moment my heart skipped a beat-I thought he was going to put it on my thigh, but he wasn't. He turns on the heater.

"Thanks," I mutter.

"Do you want my scarf, too?" he asks me, but before I can reply, he reaches out to the backseat and grabs his black scarf. "Here." He places it on my lap, his fingers coming into contact with my thigh for a second make my skin burn.

I wrap it around my neck and shoulders and-oh my God-it smells so good. It smells like him. I want to breathe in this scent forever.

"Can I ask you some questions?" I suddenly say, looking out the window to watch the snow slowly fall while we're trapped in traffic.

"How many?" he says, and I turn my head to look at him.

I find him eyeing my whole body, even though there's nothing to look at. "A few. We're going to work together for a year, we need to start knowing each other. Maybe we'll hate one another more less."