Chapter 4

Ace

3:00 p.m.

Selene is supposed to be here but-

"Yes! I made it on time!" And here she is. "I told you, Ace!"

My dad clears his throat and glances between me and her. I shrug. "Good afternoon, Selene."

"Oh," she just says, and I can tell her she's starting to go red. This is embarrassing. "I'm so sorry. Good afternoon."

Why is a twenty-four year-old like me dealing with a seventeen year-old like her? Why?

"Today we're starting with an hour warm up. Get to the barre," Dad tells us.

Selene hesitates for a moment, then asks, "Should I put pointe shoes on or the ballet slippers are alright?"

Dad waves her off. "Ballet slippers are okay for today. Let's get started."

We get at the barre, just the two of us, and as I look into the mirror I notice how opposite we are.

She's the classic ballet dancer-leotard, tights, skirt, perfect hair, cute smile, amazing instep. I'm the classic contemporary dancer-tracksuit to do the barre too, socks, messy hair, a little grumpy. Well, maybe not just a little.

I still wonder how we'll find a way to work together.

"We'll be quick. Starting from pliès, follow my movements," Dad tells us.

--

We're all sweaty after small jumps. Dad gives us a ten minute break to drink some water and relax for a minute.

I go to the cafeteria section, because the signal is better here. I turn on my phone and see a few texts from the guys' group chat.

Nate: Let's go out tonight?

Ivan: Where do you want to go?

Bryce: Let's go get some drinks.

Nate: Ace? You can drink tonight, right? It's Sunday tomorrow.

Ivan: Come on, man. It's been a while since you hung out with us.

Me: I'll be super tired, I warn you, but okay, I'll come.

Bryce: Yesss!!! I MISS YOUR ANNOYING ASS.

Me: Shut up. *middle finger emoji*

I shut my phone and head to the bathroom. I wash my face with cold water and come alive again.

"You're late, Ace," I hear Selene's mocking tone. "It's 4:31, you were supposed to be there at 4:30."

"I'm only a minute late, it's irrelevant. You were an hour late, Selene," I tell her as I meet her in the hall. "Let's go."

I notice she has let half her hair down, she's made a half ponytail, and her hair is wavy and so shiny. I feel the need to touch them-hair has always been my weak spot.

When we enter the ballroom, Dad clears his throat. "So, Selene," he says, "since you're clearly the one who's got trust issues, today we're doing a different exercise. Go stand in the center of the room."

She does as he says while I look at him with curiosity.

"Ace, listen, you'll be doing all the work," he tells me. "You have to touch her and make her do whatever movement you want, she must let her body melt with yours. Got it, Selene?"

She nods once, her eyes anxious and worried. I can tell she feels already uncomfortable.

"Oh, and I want you to stare into each other's souls for the whole time," my father adds.

"Got it," I say.

Some music fills the room and I go stand behind Selene, I'm so much taller than her. She's so tiny and fragile. I lower my head just enough to breathe in the sweet scent of her hair-vanilla.

Her hands are closed in fists by her sides, so I start with that. I take her small hands in my large ones, and try to make her fingers relax. But she just stiffens more and squeezes her eyes shut.

I lower my lips near her ear and whisper, "You need to relax. Don't think. You can trust me, I promise."

I get that's not easy to let a stranger touch you, so she needs to know that I'd never touch her somewhere inappropriate. I've done this kind of things for a long time and I always try to make them feel comfortable.

She slowly opens her eyes and meets my blue gaze. "I'll try," she says softly.

"Don't take you eyes off each other," my dad tells us. And Selene does the exact opposite.

I take her chin in my hand. "Hey, look at me."

She swallows once and stares right into my soul. That's good.

I notice she's relaxed her hands, but most of her body is still rigid. I make her turn around to face me completely, I have to lower my chin to look at her. I place my hands on her shoulders and start rubbing them, slowly, very so slowly. It makes her close her eyes and her rosy lips part.

"Keep looking at me," I tell her in a low voice.

She looks at me with hooded brown eyes. "It feels good though," she admits.

That makes me chuckle. "I know, I know." I slide my hands down the small of her back and draw her body against mine.

She widens her eyes at the sudden contact. "What-"

"Shut up, trust me," I tell her. "Just move with me."

I start making some improvised movements. Whatever comes to my mind. But while my moves are smooth, Selene's are stiff and nervous. We're still looking into each other's eyes.

"Relax, Sel. You need to relax," I remind her.

"I'm trying," she says through gritted teeth.

Suddenly, the music stops. We stand still, breathing hard, our bodies just a few inches apart, my fingers circling her wrists.

"Okay," Dad says. "Even though Selene's still a little rigid, it was wonderful."

That makes me frown. I thought it was a little awkward...how the hell was it wonderful?

"Don't make that face, Ace. I mean it. It wasn't your movements or nothing like that. It was your looks, the way you looked at each other."

I raise an eyebrow at Selene; she's frowning. She's probably wondering the same thing I am.

"Seriously, there's chemistry between you two. You just need to discover it," he tells us.