Pocket Full Of Lightning

Paradox Protocols. The Complete Commission Guide to Temporal Anomalies. Chapter 68, "The Grandfather Paradox." 

It's New Jersey, 1953, and Elmer Tatelman hates his grandfather. Elmer blames everything on his grandfather. His mother's pain, his father's death, and his own sad life.

 "How many times do I have to tell you, no goddamn peas!" 

"You don't like what I cook, you can make it yourself!"

This could have been just another sad tale about soup, except for one thing. Elmer is about to invent.. Time travel. 

You see, Elmer has decided the key to his future happiness is to go back in time and kill his grandfather. 

1905

"Sidney Tatelman?"

 "That's me."

"Whoa!"

Elmer completed his mission, but he's made one crucial mistake. 

He went too far back in time. 

You see, murdering his grandfather in 1905 meant that Elmer's mother didn't exist to meet his father in 1925. 

Which made certain that Elmer himself was never born. 

Elmer killed his grandfather, so his mother was never born. 

But if his mother was never born, Elmer no longer exists. 

But if Elmer no longer exists, how could he possibly kill his grandfather? 

And around and around we go. 

Elmer has created a paradox, the grandfather paradox. 

The most pernicious problem in The Commission Handbook of Paradox Protocols. 

This story is not true. 

But if it were, Elmer would have placed time, space, and every living thing in grave peril. 

Don't be an Elmer! 

We've been lucky so far. 

With your help, constant vigilance, and a little strategic violence, the Commission will make certain nothing like this ever happens. 

Or God help us all. 

-☂︎-

"I'm so confused." Diego spoke tossing his knife in his hand.

"Shocking." Allison scoffed.

"Well, someone killed our mothers, so we shouldn't exist. But clearly, we do exist, and the universe can't handle it, which is a problem." Viktor explained in short.

"Big problem."

"Yah!" Diegos alleged 'spawn' yelled playing with the pool stick.

"Stanley! Now is not the time to be doing karate, okay?" Diego scolded.