Fake Smile?

Childe had a grin on his face before leaving the house. He left after making sure he looked good. As soon as he stepped into the street, people began to whisper. There were those who pointed him out and looked at him with disgust. Childe tried to ignore them and walked to the grocery store. He had a few things to get. 'The entrance to the gossip place,' Childe thought.

***
What happened on the street, the same thing happened in the market. Even worse. It was an enclosed space, so Childe could hear the whispers. He tried not to care, but he couldn't. He felt like crying, but continued to grin. He didn't say anything.

"Hey, is that Childe?"
"Oh, who tarnished Fatui's name? I guess."
"Pffft, he still wears his mask on his head!"
"Disgraceful thing. He should never have come here."
"What about the fact that he was deceived and couldn't get what he wanted? And he was deceived by the woman who worked with him!"
"Is he an idiot?"
"Still rich and a member. Fatui must pity him!"

Childe held back his tears and walked to the counter with his bags. The cashier gave him a few seconds of disgusted stares. Then she took the items out of the bag and had their barcodes read. "Another thing?" asked the cashier. She was quickly doing her job so that he could leave. "No." Childe said, his voice trembling. The cashier sighed. "5000 mora. Hurry and get out." The cashier said impatiently.

Childe took his purse out of his pocket and held it out. The cashier took the mora iwithout counting. "Get out of here." The cashier said sternly. Childe packed his things in a bag and left the market. After what happened in the market, he was listening more carefully.

"He came back from Snezhnaya?"
"Of course he did, if I were his family I would have done the same! Send him away."
"Aw, he is about to cry! Such pathetic person."
"Rascal."
"Yeah, run away all you want! Run away from your shame with tears."
"Dumbo."

Childe ran away with quick steps to a narrow street between two buildings. He looked around. There was no one for now. He dropped the bags and sat on the ground. He pulled his knees forward and hid his head. He let go of his tears. He took his mask with one hand and raised his head slightly. He threw the mask away in a fury and continued to hide himself. The grin he was wearing had collapsed.

"Ajax?" Said a soft and warm voice. Childe looked up. Zhongli was standing in front of him with his mask in his hands. "Why are you here?" Childe asked with a struggle. He wiped his tears with his arm. Zhongli's face remained in the dark, Childe could not see what facial expression he was making. "Did you come here to make fun of me?" Childe asked. Then he blew his nose. The slime would have made the situation worse.

Zhongli sighed and crouched down. "I'm not here to make fun of you. I came to see you." Zhongli said, placing one hand on Childe's knee. "Leave me alone." Childe said, averting his eyes. Zhongli leaned forward and grabbed Childe's chin with his other hand. He turned his face to himself. "Look at me." Zhongli said sternly. Childe locked his eyes on him. "Whatever the people on the street have said, none of them are true. You are an amazing person, don't forget that. Did you make a bad mistake? Yes, you did. You're also feeling the pain, but it's over. You have to come to your senses and stay strong. Show everyone who you are." Zhongli said.

Then a small smile spread across his face. "But this little mistake isn't so bad." Zhongli said. Childe frowned. "You just said it was a terrible mistake, when did it turn into a minor mistake?" Childe asked. Zhongli chuckled. "Because you made a worse mistake." Zhongli said. "What was my mistake?" Childe asked. He was getting a little scared. Zhongli grinned and let go of Childe's chin. Instead, he started stroking his cheek.

"That bad mistake... making me fall in love with you." Zhongli said. Childe's eyes opened and his face began to burn. "W-what!?" Childe cried out. Zhongli took his other hand from Childe's knee and brought his hands to Childe's lips. "Shhh." He made a sound. Then he held his other hand in its original position. "And I worry a lot about the people I love. Your suffering means my suffering too." Zhongli said. Then his eyes and hair began to shine.

"Do you know? I don't like to suffer." Zhongli said. Childe looked at Zhongli in surprise and happiness. After a while he grinned. "Is this a marriage proposal?" Childe asked. Zhongli rolled his eyes and leaned back. He was now sitting on his knees across from Childe. "You spoiled the moment." Zhongli said angrily. Now his eyes and hair were not shining. "Then I say yes!" Childe said, chuckling.