Antifeminism

Sunday Morning, some kids from school starting linking me and Adree to a Youtube video.

Lee Halvard @LeeHalvard2432

@DallasDelaney @AdreeSchmadree_dancer have you seen @AmyDZER 's vid? It's GREAT

I watched it.

What One Antifeminist Thinks of Dalladree

Published on May 2, 2015

Youtube Video Transcript:

My name is Amy, and I'm going to come right out and say it: I'm an anti-feminist, and proud of it. Why? Because I don't hate men. Because I care about important things.

And I'm concerned with the rise of feminists at my school. You've probably heard of two of them: the now Internet-famous Dallas and Adree: Dalladree.

Feminists keep telling us they're fighting for sex equality. But that's a lie. I don't see any feminists working to help men.

Feminism is, like, supposed to be about women coming together for equality, but look at the spectacle of Dalladree. They aren't coming together! They're fighting like every week, and they're fighting over feminism. Because feminism isn't a real thing anymore, and everyone's confused about it, so they just keep fighting. "Girls shouldn't be objectified"... "girls can objectify themselves if they want to" ... blah blah blah. That's all it is. Mixed messages. Conflicting messages. All intended to brainwash you.

I mean, all these celebrities keep coming out as a feminist and suddenly everyone else wants to be one too. It's a bandwagon. Probably meant to distract us from more important things.

Let's get this straight: feminism is a theory that says women are equal to men, and at one point it turned into a movement and women got the right to vote, which is cool, even though most of us probably won't vote anyway because the Internet is turning us into lazies. But now it's just a stagnant movement, maybe even a backwards movement, that's turning the girls of our generation into entitled bitches who think it's super offensive for their boyfriends to ask them to make them sandwiches. Who think they are above men. I mean, how stupid is that? It isn't a movement for equality, it's a movement for women to get on top. And in the process, it's dividing women all over the place, and making our society worse.

Dallas and Adree: stop being stupid. Stop trying to get girls our age behind your meaningless movement.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make my boyfriend a sandwich.

* * *

I was shocked to see that Amy had posted that vlog. I'd always thought I liked her, because like me, she embraced her masculinity, and like I used to do, she hung out with mostly dudes. She wore Metallica and Death and Iron Maiden shirts sometimes, which was cool, but once I'd told her Roy had met Chuck Schuldiner before he died, and she just looked at me like she had no clue what I was talking about.

I concluded she would wear any shirt and take up any cause to look cool to all of her dude friends, that she would post a video talking about why she's an antifeminist without even knowing what feminism really was.

Adree

Tue, May 3, 7:22 PM

Adree

Did u see it?

Dallas

Yes. We are gonna take her down so hard! We are going to expose her for the poser she really is!

Adree

Woah there, cowboy. Good feminists attack ideas. Not ppl. Remember?

Dallas

UGH you're right.

Adree

But we SHOULD collab again 😉

Dallas

Ok! What should we say tho? Aren't you fuming?

Adree

I'm fuming so hard 👺

But I'll come over this weekend so we have time to cool off.

I realized that Adree was right about not attacking Amy. Before we began texting, I started planning all the things I could say about Amy trying to look cool with her stupid anti-feminist gig. But if that was true—if she really was just trying to look cool—then maybe she felt insecure deep down. I didn't want to put her on blast.

Besides, I felt excited about collabing with Adree again.

I decided to send out a tweet, telling my viewers about my decision:

Dallas Delaney @DallasDelaney

No #GDT tonight. Later this week, Adree and I will collab on a response to @AmyDZER 's vid.

* * *

In English on Friday, we stayed after and told Ms. Brooks about our plan, asking for her advice. "What do you think we should say in our collaboration vlog?"

"Well," said Ms. Brooks. "What is your problem?"

"Antifeminism," I said. "We need to raise awareness of why it's damaging and why girls should be against it."

"Girls against antifeminism..." said Ms. Brooks, strumming her fingers on her chin. "What might be better than that?"

"Girls for feminism?" Adree said, taking another win.

"Exactly. The problem is that girls like Amy misunderstand your versions of feminism. So maybe you should clarify your thoughts on feminism for your viewers and for viewers like Amy — show why your feminism should be promoted and followed."

"Haven't we already done that?" I asked.

"Well, does it seem like girls like Amy understand your version of feminism?"

An exasperated sigh escaped my lips. "Ugh, I guess not."