Girls Shit Too

Dallas Delaney @DallasDelaney

Hello everyone. Today, I release my first vlog for my feminist/activist project, #GirlsShitToo. Because girls shit too, really. Check it.

Girls Shit Too

Published on January 10, 2015

Youtube Video Transcript:

Hey, everyone. My name is Dallas Delaney, and I'm tired of being a girl. Not because I'm unhappy with my biologically-determined sex, but because I'm unhappy with the way I'm expected to be and act simply because I'm a female. Being a socially constructed female means I have to abide by socially constructed femininity, and I'm done with this, because there is so much about masculinity that is better!

So let's talk about some of the more subtle aspects of male privilege, the finer perks of masculinity, the ones a lot of us seem to take for granted or not care about, the ones some of us don't even realize exist, the ones that might not seem to matter but do. Because they keep us separate, and they keep girls as the lesser beings, the vulnerable beings, the constricted beings.

For example: men have the perk of being able to acknowledge their natural bodily functions, like pooping, without receiving the kind of criticism us girls receive when we talk about our own need to excrete. You know, because talking about that isn't "feminine" or whatever. Men can admit they number two, and people are like, "we know," while there's this myth that women don't do it at all, or that on the odd occasion that we do, it shimmers with glitter and is scented like flowers.

Just the other day, I said that I needed to go to some of my female friends, and they acted appalled. One girl even said that she doesn't do that, and that I should act more like a girl. Why can't we girls talk about something natural that we do, something that boys can and do talk about? Why are girls supposed to be these majestic pretty creatures who don't undergo the same digestive processes that men do?

Guys, this is more serious than some of you might think. It displays a denial rooted completely in sexism. If women are supposed to pretend to be these magical creatures who look pretty and don't have gross stuff coming out of our bodies on the daily, what does that mean? It means we are basically supposed to be dolls who don't abide by the laws of nature.

Men are seriously threatened by the knowledge that women are just like them: not beautiful dolls lacking the need to excrete, but strong and independent creatures who shit just like they do. Those people enjoy believing that men are a completely separate and superior species, but we're all the same. And if girls can poop like boys do, then surely we can do other things that boys can do, too, like become engineers or politicians or notable guitarists, amirite?

So, this is me saying that girls should proudly say, "I shit," and I can do other masculine stuff, too. I hope you will join me in saying that Girls Shit Too; remember to use the hashtag so we can get this trending!

If you support my #GirlsShitToo movement, then stay tuned. I will be posting vlogs weekly! Let's talk about why nail polish and dresses suck, why Brienne of Tarth is awesome, why we need to be able to be assertive without being labeled "bossy," why we need to stop being oversensitive about that person who didn't text us back last week. Hope you're with me.

  Hope you're with me