«Chåptër 17»

Max, the teenager boy*

»"Max!" I yelled at Max, who was running inside. 

I slammed the car door and ran after him.

"Max, get over here!" I yelled, running inside.

Henry sat on the couch, reading a book. Once he heard me, he jumped and almost dropped his book. He looked back at us with a confused expression.

"Leave me the fuck alone!" He yelled finally, running up to our room.

"Language!" I gasped, looking to see if Henry's kids were around.

Emilie came out of the kitchen to see what was going on. She looked uncomfortable with her kids coming out shortly after, hiding behind her.

My hands closed into fists and I clenched my jaw. "Fine then, be like that! But just so you know, your not getting out of this fight." I yelled, turning around and sped walked to the door.

Emilie and Henry were about to ask what happened, but I was out before they could say a word.

I opened my car door and got in. I started my car and started to go on a drive, thinking about the events that had happened earlier.

Ah hour earlier...

Me and Max were in the car. We were on our way to Max's parent teacher conference. I never like going to those types of things, but since I'm now Max's legal guardian I have to go to this type of stuff. 

I glanced over at Max and cleared my throat. "So, will I hear good stuff?" I asked, focusing on the road.

Max continued to look at his feet. "I dunno," he muttered.

I felt bad for the poor boy. He had gotten into a fight a few days prior. When I got the call, I was furious. But, once I went over to the school, Max explained that he was standing up to his bullies. After that, I didn't really care.

There was something I was worried about though. Max had been acting more and more distant from me. Now, I know that he's a teen and needs his space, but it worries me. Most days he only says a few words and goes to our room for the rest of the night. I didn't force him to talk to me. I just knew that he wasn't being himself and worried me.

We got to the school and I parked. I put the car in park and turned it off. Me and Max got out of the car, making our way inside the school.

We visited some classes he was failing, ending up with me saying I would help him. 

Finally, after visiting his teachers, we got to go home. That was until the principal came and stopped us.

"Hello there Max and (Y/N)." He addressed us.

I sighed, looking up to meet his gaze. "Hello sir," I replied. "What is it?" I asked, just wanting to go home.

Max had a fearful look in his eyes.

"Well, I would like to talk to you about Max real quick, if you don't mind." He explained, adjusting his dress shirt.

I raised an eyebrow. "Very well, I'm curious about this." I agreed.

Max looked down, still looking scared.

The principal lead me to his office. Max stayed outside, sitting in a chair. I sat down in a chair on the other side of his desk.

"So, what is up with Max?" I asked, laying back in the chair.

He sighed, "Miss, his grades have dropped a lot since last month. He is at the edge of being held back. He has also gotten into trouble. Not just the fight, but talking back to teachers, leaving class without permission, and skipping class." He explained. "We just want to make sure his home environment is ok." He expressed his concern.

I sighed, rubbing my temples. "We lost our mother last month and had to move in with a family friend." I paused for a moment, looking outside the window in the office. "But, I will make sure to talk to him." I hissed.

Back to present....

I sniffed, sitting at the cliff that I know claimed as my go to place. Memories of me and Max were flashing through my mind like lighting. 

(Italics=memory)

Max licked his ice cream happily as I started the car. "Thanks for getting me the ice cream, (Y/N)!" He exclaimed, happily.

I smiled at him and ruffled his hair. "Of course, dork. Your doing well in school." I smiled at my 8 year old brother.

~~~

'Where did the time go?' I thought, remembering how Max did well in school and I was just about to go to college.

~~~

I bit my nails, wondering if my mom was ok.

It had been a few hours since mom had gone into labor. My father was in the room with my mom. 

I was sitting in a chair, bouncing my leg and biting my nails. That was until my dad came out of the room.

"You may come now." He said, smiling.

I jumped out of my seat and ran beside my dad. I followed him to a room where my mom was now transferred to. 

I ran to be beside my mom. She looked at me and smiled.

"Hello, my dear." She said weakly with a smile.

I smiled at her. I softly hugged her and we shared a few words. But then, I heard a baby cry. I looked over to where my brother was. 

I left mom's hospital bed and went to see my little brother.

"Hello," I said, softly. 

My mom looked my way. "(Y/N), meet your new brother, Max.

~~~

I missed the old Max. I missed mom. I missed everything, but thats the past and I can't do anything about it. The only thing I can do is try to change the present so the future would be good.

Perhaps William could help. Emilie and Henry had been a great help, but I didn't always want to depend on them. So, maybe William could help, dunno. 

I sighed, looking at the small town. I didn't know what was happening anymore. I started getting small urges, but pushed them away. I just tried to focus on important things and not the thoughts. Nor did I really focus to the voices at work. They were driving me insane. Literally.

Maybe that's where I'm getting my urges from. I pushed my thoughts aside and continued to focus on the sounds of the wind shuffling the grass.

What happened, what happened to the good old times?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Kansjwjjs I feel like this book is boring- don't worry though things about to go from 1 to 100 fast maybe Idk. I also finally know the end to this book and what is happening. So, this may be around 30 chapters, not sure yet.