Chapter 144

Chapter 144: Mai and Ji Yun An

Ji Yun An came out of the county yamen and went to the patrol camp.

"Have you really thought this through, are you really going to re-take the exam?" Ji Cheng Kang looked at Ji Yun An with a worried look, he didn't want his little nephew to get too carried away and make the wrong decision.

Ji Yun An nodded and said, "Yes, uncle, my mind is made up. Although I passed the exam this time, but my ranking is terrible. I'm hungry for a better ranking and better a better starting point for my official career."

"All right, Yun An. It looks like you have given mature consideration to this matter, I support your decision."

Ji Cheng Kang stared at Ji Yun An for a while and suddenly said, "You are interested in the Lu Lin's little brother-in-law, aren't you?"

Ji Yun An scratched his head and said shyly, "I accidentally ran into his room years ago, I believe it's fate."

Ji Cheng Kang shook his head and said, "At that time, you were very young, trust me, Lu Lin didn't care that you have broken into his house. Getting betrothed is no joking matter, I want you to be with someone who share mutual love and respect with you."

Ji Yun An said with a smile on his face "I think Mai and I have that."

Ji Cheng Kang was not surprised. Although Ji Yun An had been in the capital city for the past few years, he had always been in contact with Chen Xiao Mai.

Ji Cheng Kang thought Chen Xiao Mi and Lu Lin must know what was going on as well and they had tacitly consented to this, otherwise they would have had meddled in.

"Your father has introduced a girl to you, hasn't he?"

Ji Yun An's face darkened, he frowned and said coldly, "It's his niece, I don't feel a thing about her."

Ji Yun An had a very bad impression of his father, Zhao Heng, and he felt great hatred for his father's behavior of introducing him a girl.

Ji Cheng Kang smiled. Ji Yun An had passed the highest imperial examination at such a young age, of course people were eager to be betrothed with him. Not only the Zhaos , but some of the Ji family's distant relatives wanted to be betrothed with Ji Yun An.

"Yun An, let me ask you one last time. Are you sure you want to marry Mai? Knowing Mai, he is not going to be able to give you any assistance for your official career."

Ji Yun An's eyes sparkled and he said in a relaxing way, "Areal man relies on himself to fight for his future, not his wife, or his wife's family."

Ji Yun An suddenly thought of his mother. When his mother was alive, she had given his father a lot of help. Some people who were jealous of his father sowed discord between his parents by saying that his father relied on a woman for his success. And his father took it to his heart, he started to estrange himself from his mother.

Thinking of his father, Ji Yun An shook his head with disapproval.

Ji Cheng Kang nodded and said, "If you're sure, I'll talk to Lu Lin for you. Chen Xiao Mai has reached marriageable age, I'm afraid others will propose to him if we don't act fast."

Ji Yun An scratched his head and said shyly, "Thank you so much, Uncle."

Ji Cheng Kang smiled bitterly. Ji Yun An chose a wild child Chen Xiao Mai over all those ladies from eminent families, it was hard to believe. Zhao Heng would be so furious after he heard of it.

......

A few days later, Ji Cheng Kang prepared a generous gift and visisted the county yamen.

Chen Xiao Mi and Ji Cheng Kang chatted happily.