The Vanishing of Will Byers: Pt. 1

"C'mon Nancy! Steve Harrington? Really?"

"Chill out, Y/n! We're just talking!" Nancy chuckled back. Even though I couldn't see her, I could just imagine the blush spreading across her face.

"If you think that making out is 'just talking', I'd hate to hear what your definition of making out is." Nancy laughed on the other end of the phone. I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, please, you think he's cute, too," she teased.

"Yeah, when I first met him, I thought he was hot, but that was four years ago. I came to realize that he's actually a douchebag with no real personality. Looks aren't everything," I reminded.

"He has a personality!" Nancy argued.

"Oh yeah? Besides being a playboy?"

"Yeah! He's nice-"

"Only to you."

"And considerate-"

"Again, only to you."

"And-"

"Listen, Nancy, I don't care if you like him. It's not my place to dictate who you date. But, be careful. He's known as the player for a reason. Don't be another victim."

"Oh, don't worry Y/n, I won't," Nancy assured. "In fact, maybe I'll be the one that got away."

"Oh, please do, Harrington needs a lesson."

Nancy was laughing again, I along with her.

"Hey Nancy!" a voice on Nancy's end greeted. "There's one more slice of pizza left!"

"Is that Dustin?" I asked.

"Yeah, one sec." I could hear the distant sound of a question, followed by a door slamming. "Anyway, you were saying?"

"I think I'm gonna go," I answered. "I need to eat dinner and finish some homework, and I'm sure Harrington is going to die if he doesn't get a call from you within the next five minutes."

Nancy cursed on the other end. "You're right! I forgot I was going to call him! I'll pick you up at 7:30 tomorrow!"

"Ok. Goodbye, 'lover-girl'." I hung up before Nancy could respond to my insult.

Instead of doing homework or eating like I said, I stared up at the ceiling, so many thoughts running through my head.

"Steve Harrington? Really?" I scoffed. "One, he's a player. Second, he's not even in your grade. Third, there are tons of other cute guys in both your grade and mine. Fourth-"

A shrill BRINGG cut off my train of thought. I grabbed my phone and, thinking it was Nancy, picked it up. "Hello?"

"Y/n?"

"Oh, hey Barb!" I greeted, slightly relieved it wasn't who I thought of.

"Well? Is it official?" she asked.

I shook my head, then realized that she couldn't see that through the phone. "Yes and no. She says that they like each other, and that they've 'made out a few time', but no, they aren't officially boyfriend and girlfriend."

Barb sighed on the other end of the phone, "What does she see in him, anyway?"

"Right!? The only good thing about him is his looks, and even then, there are definitely more people that are better looking than him."

"Exactly," Barb agreed. "He only wants to get in her pants."

"That's what I keep telling her! But she goes 'No, he's better than that!' or 'No, I won't let that happen!'"