Hope for Mr Hope?

(Nick and Ben's texts)

Ben: Hi Nick

Nick: Hey Ben, everything alright?

Ben: Yeah yeah I'm fine, your first rugby match is coming up right?

Nick: Yeah, tomorrow it's a home match so at least no travelling.

Ben: would it be weird if I were there? I wanna be I dunno, supportive I guess.

Nick: No! Not at all, that's quite nice of you, turn up, but don't pretend to be there for me when we both know you're just checking the players out.

Ben: Oi! That's not fair! I'm trying to be nice!

Nick: So checking out the players wasn't even a tiny part of it?

Ben: Well, maybe I've got a little thing for one of the rugby players.

Nick: I KNEW IT! Which one?

Ben: Shut up Nelson.

Nick: What! Maybe I could talk to him, get a general feeling?

Ben: Nah I don't think it'll work.

--------------------------------

(The Squad)

Charlie: Since Tara and Darcy are off to Brighton tomorrow and this is a SURPRISE FOR NICK I thought I'd send this here.

Tao: What surprise?

Elle: Tell me more

Charlie: So I'm thinking we should go to Leeds tomorrow and surprise Nick for his first rugby match!

Elle: Charlie I'm in LONDON.. I can't just drop everything to go and watch a rugby match in Leeds 😂

Charlie: Not even if I say please...

Elle: The train is over £100... I'm sorry I can't.

Aled Last man standing: I will attend, I wish to take a look around the campus anyway.

Charlie: Yayyy, Tao?

Tao: Very well, it's not like I have exams to study for....

Charlie: Oh shut up, you'd only spend the day texting Elle.

Tao: OH IM SORRY MR ICANTTALKATLUNCHIMONFACETIMETONICK

Aled Last man standing: Points have been made....

-----------------------------

(Nick's POV)

I received a call from Ben Hope about an hour ago asking me to meet him for a coffee, and here I am, in the central courtyard with the obligatory overpriced coffees, the only thing missing is Ben. In my first month of University I've attended classes, made exactly two friends, one of whom technically just moved from estranged friend back to friend-proper and the other I converted from enemy to friend. I then got into a kind of fight with Charlie which was actually just a misunderstanding, yeah, strange old month.

"Ah bollocks, you're here" Ben says I turn to see him in a baggy hoodie and ripped jeans, 'he looks like Charlie' is the first thing I think before banishing that thought from my mind "Oh?" Is what manages to slip from my mouth "Yeah sorry I'm late I normally hate being late" I shift along the bench giving him sufficient room "Eh don't worry, your coffee should still be hot" I said handing it to him, he sipped it "Oh damn you remembered my order?" I laughed "Ben it's hard to forget something as absurd as an oatmilk latte, anyway, come on, tell me, who's the rugby boy you're chasing? I need to know" Ben scoffed and seemingly choked on some latte "Christ Nelson don't do that" I probably laughed a little too hard at this. Ben punched my arm "Will you shut up already? It's not funny, I have no chance with him" I tapped his hand "Don't put yourself down Ben, if you don't try you'll never know! This guy could feel the same if he got to know you" Ben seemed to draw back "Do you really think that?" And I considered, "Well I can't say for sure but, maybe?" And Ben smiled, and I realised, I think that's the first time I've ever seen Ben Hope actually smile, a real and genuine smile.