Fire & Ice

It was the first day of winter break. And for the first time, I didn't want to leave school.

"Dean will be here any second to pick you up." Stella reminded me, shoving the last of her stuff into her suitcase. She was spending break with her parents in Cancun. A whole week in their own private estate. For her family, it was a paradise. For mine, a nightmare.

"Are you sure you can't fit me in your suitcase?" I asked, plopping down besides her bed as she finished packing.

Stella rolled her eyes at me and laughed. "Not looking forward to spending the week in your Wisconsin cabin?"

"I am literally in fear of my own safety. If you were really my best friend you wouldn't let me walk into that death trap." I shuddered, just thinking about spending my week in that cold, isolated cabin.

"It's one week, Lex. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Great, now you've jinxed it." I sighed, falling backwards onto her sheets.

"Is she still complaining?" Mac chuckled, walking out from the bathroom. "It's been a week since Battle Royale. It's time you've faced your fears, and talked to your sister." She said plainly.

"Yesterday she cut the oxygen tank on my scuba diving gear, and the day before that she slicked the high beam with grease." I reminded her. "Every time I do try to say something, she tries to kill me."

"You're family is so messed up." Stella laughed. "Well that's the last of my stuff." She clapped her hands together. "I better start heading out, my parents sent a car to drive me to the airport." She walked towards me and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. "I'll see you in a week." She smiled, rolling her suitcase behind her as she walked out of our dorm.

"Don't you dare leave me, too." I begged Mackenzie.

"Sorry, but I have a private yacht waiting for me in the Bahamas." She shrugged. "And do me a favor, try to actually enjoy your break. You're a teenager first, a spy second." She smiled, waving slightly as she wheeled her suitcase outside.

A knock on my door caused me to sprang forward. "Mind if I come in?" Seth stood in the doorway, looking frustratingly cute.

"If I say yes, will you stop stalking me?" I chuckled.

"I'm surprised you haven't left yet." He admitted, sauntering towards me. "I thought you'd be dying to get out of here."

"Are you kidding?" I laughed. "I've been begging my parents all week to let me stay."

It felt good to talk to Seth. I had been avoiding him ever since Battle Royale. He had risked his future—and went against everything he stood for—-just to prove he cared. And I couldn't be more terrified. "Are you going anywhere?" I asked, trying to keep the conversation flowing.