When One Plan Fails, Another Succeeds

Two days later

Alberto's POV

So the weekend went by really slowly—so slowly, it made me kind of mad. I don't understand why time goes so much slower when I'm really impatient for something.

Whatever. Either way, I made good use of the time to myself, because I have a plan now.

I thought about it, and there's no way I can look in Luca's journal. I'd feel super guilty, and besides, it might ruin our friendship.

So I came up with another plan.

Since Luca's journal is all about his crush, he writes in there when he's thinking of them. Right? And since the road trip was practically a romance fest for both of us, he should have plenty of stuff to write about—if the crush happens to be me.

See where I'm going with this?

All I have to do is keep a really close eye on Luca this week. I'll have to be sneaky, and keep watch during even the most unexpected times.

... Wow. I guess I really am a secret spy.

Anyways, I'm super sure this will work. Not to mention he's been with his family the whole weekend, in a place where he can't take his journal with him; I can imagine he's been waiting to write in it this whole time.

So I just need to be as patient as I can, and secretly watch Luca's every move, until I have something to work with.

Then, finally, I can figure out what to do with my sickness—if I want to cure myself somehow, or if I want to keep it... for Luca.

So, that's my plan. Easy-peasy.

Except, it probably won't be easy at all.

* * *

Later on, after we leave the beach and have lunch, Giulia steps out to deliver fish... which gives me the perfect time to go through with my plan!

Luca's in our room right now. I'm standing out in the hallway like an idiot, trying to prepare myself.

I can only imagine how it'll go.

———

"Sooo, Luca," I'll say as casually as possible while walking up to him. I'll hold my hands behind my back and give him a smile he can't possibly ignore. "I notice you're writing in your journal a lot more often. I'm your best friend and you should definitely tell me your secrets in that journal."

"The truth is, Alberto," he'll say, hearts appearing in his eyes, "that I am in love with you and not some ugly girl from school, because girls are gross. Also, you definitely have gotten more muscles and you're the tallest kid in Portorosso for sure."

———

I smile. "Oh yeah. Wait—no!" I reach up and grab my hair in fistfuls. "No, Alberto. What is wrong with you? This is what happens when you listen to Bruno."

I let go of my hair and take a deep breath. Then I lower my voice to where I can barely hear myself.

"Just act casual. Don't give in to your sickness. Don't think about kissing Luca or sending every girl who likes him to another country. Just play it cool. Do not ruin this."

I start to walk towards the bedroom door, and I place my hand against it. I take another deep breath, then gently push it open.

Luca's on his bed, lying on his stomach and reading that book he got at the bookstore. Rosana is snuggled next to him. Even from the doorway, I can hear her sleeping purrs. I try not to think about how much I envy her right now as I walk over to Luca.