What People-Watching Can Lead To

Luca's POV

So far it's been a pretty awesome morning! We got breakfast at some diner and took it with us to eat outside. After that, it was time to really start the road trip. Massimo took us to a record store first, which made Alberto as happy as a clam. I looked around a bit, but I didn't really see anything I wanted. Then again, though, I'm not as passionate about that stuff as he is.

Alberto made a friend in there: a really colorful man at the front counter who looked like a hippie. Judging by his accent, I'm guessing he's from the United Kingdom. I could be wrong, though, since I've only ever met one other British person and he was a kid from school.

The worker and Alberto talked for a while. To be honest, I really wanted to listen in... but they would have spotted me if I got too close. Either way, I'm happy that Alberto made a friend.

After that, we went to a bookstore, which was the sweetest and kindest thing ever for Massimo to do. I felt my heart nearly leap out of my chest when I saw the building. Actually, I think I embarrassed myself a little with how excited I was.

That's not the best part, though. Something happened... between me and Alberto. Maybe not exactly what I dream of, but it made me feel the same happiness I did with that one hug behind the ristorantino. It didn't last very long, and honestly, Alberto probably already forgot about it. But...

... I laid my head on his shoulder while we were sitting on a beanbag together and he let me do it and he didn't seem to mind it and I almost died right then and there!!

...

So yeah. That happened. It's really nothing to get excited over, since Alberto didn't feel the way I did when it happened. But it was still a sweet moment between us, and that's enough to make me thankful.

I was so flustered after it happened that I could barely think. Desperately trying to act normal, I put away the Helen Keller book I'd grabbed, and then I just chose a random book about plants off another shelf. I didn't even look at the back or flip through it or anything. I just needed to play it cool somehow so Alberto wouldn't get suspicious.

Speaking of Alberto, I'm glad he found some comics at the bookstore, because now he's too focused on reading one to realize I'm still blushing over what happened. We're at a park right now, lying in the grass side-by-side and reading our books. Giulia's just a few feet away, already almost finished with the book she picked out. And Massimo's sitting on a bench nearby.

My book is... fine. I mean, it's definitely educational. But it's not interesting enough to distract me from Alberto.

... Actually, is anything more interesting than Alberto?

"Why didn't they just ask Spider-Man?" Alberto mutters to himself after turning a page. "Come on, people, this is why you're always in trouble."

I look at him, then rest my cheeks in my hands and turn away. My face gets hot, but I have a feeling it's not because of the sun shining down on us.

Before I can figure out what to do with my nervousness, Alberto and I both flinch at Giulia slamming her book shut. We look up to see her staring down at it, showing no emotion that would give us a clue as to what she's thinking. She's wanted that book for a long time. I hope she isn't disappointed.

Alberto lets go of his comic, and the pages flutter closed. "So? How was it?" he asks.

She meets our eyes. "This...," she said, "... is the best book ever written ever." She squeals then and falls down on her back, kicking her legs and holding her book close. "Santa Ricotta! I knew it would be worth the wait! I knew I wouldn't hate it with a passion!"