Take Me, Gravity!

Holy carp, I'm so sorry it took so long to update this! I was going to post this chapter on Monday, but I wanted to add a little more to it. But the good news is that now you get to read what I think is the longest chapter yet!

By the way, did you know that I have a Luberto Discord server? That's right! We're nearing 70 members at the time I'm writing this. We have daily fun polls and lots of nice people and we'll be streaming Ciao Alberto in the voice chat on the 12th!

The link to join this server is in my Wattpad bio!

—————

Two days later

My mom let me sleep in a bit more this weekend. This morning, she let me sleep an hour more than I usually do. I think it's because she could tell I was still really sad about Giuseppe. Once I came back home after spending time with Alberto and Giulia, I immediately went into the house, whereas I'd go back to the farm in a normal situation. I sort of picked at my food during meals, and I didn't have the energy to disagree with my mom about things relating to humans.

But by Sunday afternoon, I realized that my bad mood wasn't so much about Giuseppe anymore.

As much as I'm so happy to be back home, and as much as I can't wait to spend time with Alberto, Giulia, and the other kids...

... I'm worried that something is going to go wrong....

For starters, I have no idea where I'm going to hide my journal. I can't keep it in my backpack forever, because sooner or later Alberto is going to want to search in there. I made him promise not to look through it while I was gone, but I know how curious he can get really fast.

I'm also concerned that I won't be able to hide my secret for much longer. I mean, I'm already blushing around him, and looking at him for a little too long. If he notices this sometime soon, he might think it's just because I'm really happy to see him again. But the further we get into the summer, the less that excuse is going to work out for me.

What if I won't be able to handle not telling him? There are so many times I wanted to confess my feelings in a letter, but the fear of him never writing back stopped me from grabbing the pencil. Now that I'm going to be around him so much, the need to just tell him everything might be too strong for me. Every moment around Alberto so far, I wanted to be as close to him as possible. I just got lucky with that hug the other day. I doubt I'll have more moments like that with him, and even if I do, it's going to hurt knowing I can't embrace it the way I want to.

But I shouldn't complain, really. After all these months, I finally get to see him again. Those nights in bed where I stared up at the ceiling, thinking about all the cool things we'll do this summer... I don't have to go through that now. Not for another three months.

I'm at the dining table while thinking about all of this. This morning we're having omelettes made from goatfish eggs. Thanks to hydrothermal vents (I think is what they're called), sea monsters have things similar to a stove, so not all of our food is the worst thing ever. And even with vegetables in the omelettes, they're still my favorite underwater meal.

You know, I bet Mom would let me invite Alberto down here. He could come over for dinner, and maybe spend the night. And maybe play some games, too. "Hide-and-Seek" and "Tag" is probably way more fun underwater.

"Luca," Grandma says, breaking the silence. She's sitting across from me; actually, she's the only one at the table. Mom's making her omelette, and Dad is training a crab somewhere outside. "Can I ask why you look so happy all of a sudden?"